Tabor Street – Dickerman St. SW to end; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
Mount Tabor is in northern Israel, not far from Mount Carmel. It is mentioned in the Old and New Testaments. The street originally started from Whitney Av. but had to be moved for the entrance ramp to Mount Carmel Connector.
Taft Street - Circular Av. NE to Chester St.; Hamden Plains; on 1928 plat
William Howard Taft was President 1909-1913 and Chief Justice 1921-1930, the only person to hold both offices, and between those terms was a professor at Yale Law School. An avid golfer, he was a founder of New Haven Country Club in Hamden. Stephen Van Rensselaer Taft (1822-1879) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Talmadge Road – Gaylord Mountain Rd. W and S to end; West Woods; first house 1965
Many generations of the Talmadge family have lived in Hamden. Arthur Talmadge was Public Works director. Lambert W. Talmadge (1830-1892) is buried in Mt. Carmel Cemetery and had a house nearby on the 1868 map.
Tanglewood Drive – Evergreen Av. W and S to Tanglewood Dr. South; Mount Carmel; first house 1980
Tanglewood Drive South – Tanglewood Dr. E to Evergreen Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1985 plat
Perhaps named for Tanglewood Tales, a children's book by Nathaniel Hawthorne, or for the Tanglewood Music Center in Lenox, Massachusetts, summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Tanglewood Dr. South, which was originally called just Tanglewood South on the plat, continues the house numbering of Tanglewood Dr.
Terrace Avenue – Highland View Av. E to Barrett St., continuing E a very short distance as a paper street; Spring Glen; on 1905 plat
It runs along a terrace, a stretch of high, flat land above Waite St., part of the Whitneyville Terrace subdivision. The area was still considered part of Whitneyville, as Spring Glen did not exist as a neighborhood at the time. The street was intended to begin at the intersection of Whitney Av. and Ford St., but the portion from there to Highland View Av. was likely never built due to a steep incline. The original lots were very small, 30 by 70 feet. All of the present houses are on combinations of at least two, but usually four or more of these lots, sometimes fronting on two parallel streets.
Thayer Street – Rockview Rd. E and S to Jones Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1946 plat
Two young sons of Rev. D. H. Thayer are buried in Central Burying Ground.
Third Street - Dixwell Av. W to Beaver St.; Highwood; on 1900 plat
It is the third of the numbered streets in the Lenox Place subdivision.
Thomas Street – Woodin St. S to Westerfield Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1927 map
Wilbert Thomas was its developer [Fitzgerald].
Thompson Street – Dixwell Av. NW and N to Colony St.; Centerville; on 1921 plat
Walter S. Thompson, 1802-1854, is buried in Central Burying Ground.
Thornton Street – Whitney Av. W, SW, E to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright and author Thornton Wilder was one of the most famous residents of Hamden. The auditorium in the main library building was named for him. However, it is unlikely the street was, since when it was shown on the 1917 plat, he was a sophomore at Oberlin College in Ohio. It may have been named for being near thorn bushes, or after any of several places in England or Scotland named Thornton for the same reason.
Thorpe Drive – Woodin St. SW, S, SW to end; Pine Rock; on 1953 plat
Albert Thorpe died in World War II.
Thurl Avenue – Glenham Rd. N to Briarcliff Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1923 plat
Thurl is an old term for a short cut-through passage in a mine. This short street is a similar cut-through between Glenham and Briarcliff roads in the Westerleigh subdivision made by Bodwell Realty Co.
Tierney Road – Wintergreen Av. E to end; Pine Rock; on 1957 plat
Leon Tierney died in World War II. The original plat showed it looping back to Wintergreen Av. A 1963 plat terminated it in a cul-de-sac.
Timberwood Trail – Shepard Av. E, SE, NE, E to Nutmeg Hill Rd.; Mix District; on 1988 plat
It is in a densely wooded area from which timber was probably harvested.
Todd Street – Whitney Av. NW to Shepard Av.; Mount Carmel, West Woods; on 1852 map
House of J. Todd was at the Whitney Av. end of the street on the 1868 map. Joel Todd died in the Revolutionary War [Carusone]. Ithamar Todd was the ancestor of five generations of builders in the area [Fitzgerald].
Tom Swamp Road – Still Hill Rd. W past Oakwood Ln. to end; West Woods; on 1868 map
There is a small swamp near its intersection with Still Hill Rd. Perhaps someone named Tom lived in the area.
Town Line Road – Sidehill Rd. E to Vineyard Rd.; North Haven; on 1948 plat
The street is entirely in North Haven, with its southern edge right on the Hamden town line. Four houses on that side are in Hamden.
Town Walk Drive - Hamden Hills Dr. N, E, S to Hamden Hills Drive; Private; Centerville; in 1996 directory
This street looping through an apartment complex was perhaps named to suggest it is a short walk to the center of town. It has an unusual numbering system that assigns an individual house number to each apartment. The first one or two digits indicate one of the 28 buildings; the next, hundreds, digit, one of up to four entrances to that building; the tens digit, the floor; and the final digit, the apartment on that floor. The highest number on this street, less than a mile long, is 28334. This is by far the highest house number in Hamden and possibly the highest in New England.
Towne House Road – Mix Av. W and NW to end; Private; Hamden Plains; on 1972 plat
Treadwell Street – Whitney Av. W, NW, W to Dixwell Av.; Whitneyville, Hamden Plains; on 1852 map
Dr. Oliver C. Treadwell (1797-1870) was on the school board, a Whitneyville church deacon [Fitzgerald], and is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. C.W. Treadwell (possibly a misprint for O.W.) had a house near its western end on the 1868 map.
Troiano Road – Shepard Av. W, NW, W to end; West Woods; on 1957 map
James Troiano died in World War II.
Turnor Avenue – Augur St. N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1909 plat
Fred Turnor (1873-1961), a foreman at Winchester Repeating Arms, lived at 158 Putnam Av., near the corner of the street, in 1918. Reuben Turner (different spelling) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Tuttle Avenue – Whitney Av. NW across Wallingford line continuing NW to Cheshire Rd.; Mount Carmel, Wallingford; on 1852 map
Joseph Tuttle died in the Revolutionary War [Carusone] and Curtis Tuttle died in the Civil War [Abner Oakes]. Leverett Tuttle and his son Henry lived there [Becker].
Twin Brook Road – Belden Rd. SE and NE to Baker Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1950 plat
It is between twin brooks named Belden and Wilmot.
(Return to Main Page or go to U-V)