Sidehill Road – Northside Rd. in North Haven S across Hamden line, SE and S to Vineyard Rd.; North Haven, East Side; on 1945 plat
It is on the side of the hill down from Hartford Turnpike. Odd numbers are on its left side, traveling in the increasing direction, the usual practice in North Haven, although not for streets that cross into Hamden, including Vineyard Rd.
Six Rod Highway – Paper street N from Mount Carmel Av. N, continuing N as an actual street to end of Blue Trl., resuming as a paper street N to Wallingford line; Mount Carmel; on 1957 plat
It is on part of the route of the “Old 6 Rod Highway” shown on a 1940 map of Sleeping Giant State Park. Six rods (99 feet) was a common width of the right-of-way of many old roads, though, like this street, they were seldom cleared to that width. Hartley describes the “road to Farmington”, now Whitney Avenue, as being six rods wide. That map also shows “Old 4 Rod” and “Old 2 Rod” highways. See Four Rod Road. The five houses on it are all on its right side in the direction described but have even numbers, reverse of usual practice. The first paper street section is part of the Sleeping Giant hiking trail system.
Skiff Street – Howard Dr. SE and E across North Haven line continuing E to State St.; Mix District, Hamden Plains, Spring Glen, North Haven; on 1852 map
H. Skiff had a house on its corner with Dixwell on the 1868 map. The portion of it west of Dixwell is sometimes called Skiff St. Ext. but this designation is not necessary since the house numbers begin with 1 in this section and continue through the rest of the street.
Sky View Circle – End S of Oxford Rd. N, NW, N, E to Hume Dr.; Mix District; on 1973 plat
This street and Oxford Rd. comprise the Sky View subdivision, descriptive of its location on a hill.
Sleeping Giant Drive – Whitney Av. W and SW to Kenwood Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
It has a view of Sleeping Giant, named for its clear resemblance to a reclining human figure.According to Native American legend, a chief ate so many oysters he fell into eternal sleep, forming the range of hills to serve as a warning to greedy children.
Smith Drive – Leo Rd. W to Hesse Dr.; East Side; on 1956 plat
Stephen W. Smith, Jr. died in World War II.
South New Road – Riverside Dr. N to Ives St. opposite New Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1955 plat
It is a southern extension of New Rd.
Spring Garden Street – Lansdowne Av. E to Ridge Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
Spring Garden is a neighborhood in Philadelphia just north of Center City (downtown). It was a separate city until 1854 (the ninth largest in the nation in 1850, with nearly 59,000 people). See Haverford St. The developer, Bodwell Realty Co., may have also named it to suggested gardens on it would be especially attractive in spring.
Spring Glen Terrace – Santa Fe Av. N and NE to High Ln.; Spring Glen; on 1922 plat
It is in the Spring Glen Estates subdivision and Spring Glen neighborhood, named for James J. Webb's Spring Glen farm, likely named for the spring just over the town line in North Haven which feeds a stream leading into a glen or valley, in an area on the left side of the last block of the street that is still wooded and undeveloped.
Springdale Street – Paper street from Circular Av. E to Cherry Hill Rd., continuing E as a real street to Harrison Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1924 plat
Possibly named for any of several places named Springdale. It was in the Maple Lawn subdivision of M. R. Bennett. The paper section was likely never built because it would ascend a steep hill.
Spruce Bank Road – Ives St. N, NE, N to end of paved section, continuing as a paper street W, N, NW to New Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
It is beside the bank of Mill Riverand lined with spruce trees. It is an official town scenic road.
Squire Lane – Mansion Rd. SW, S, W to end; Mount Carmel; on 1965 plat
A squirewas originally the shield-bearer of a knight. The term was later applied to various local officials. Squire Simeon Bristol moderated the first town meeting [Hartley p. 246].
Stanley Road – Wintergreen Av. SW, S, W, N to end past Jennifer Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1954 plat
Stanley Mikolinski, father of Elizabeth (Elizabeth Rd. is off Jennifer Rd.) lived on Wintergreen Av. nearby [Lisa Mikolinski on social media].
State Street – Water St. opposite Union Av. in New Haven N, NE, E, NE, NW across Hamden line continuing N across North Haven line to Banton St. opposite Upper State St.; U.S. Route 5; New Haven, East Side, North Haven; on 1766 map
Named for the state of Connecticut [Townshend]. It is only road through what is now Hamden shown on the Moses Park 1766 map, the earliest to show any such road.
The North Haven section is numbered with odd numbers on the left and increasing from Banton St. to the Hamden line. This street and Wintergreen Av. are the only ones to keep their name as they cross a town line but have a different numbering system.
Sterling Place – Heathridge Rd. N to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1957 plat
A. Sterling Putzel died in World War II. The street may have been intended to begin further to the south, around where Autumn Ridge Rd. is now, since an area south of Heathridge Rd. was reserved for it on the plat, and the house numbers on it start with 359.
Stevens Street – State St. W to Edgecomb St.; East Side; on 1961 plat
John Stevens died in World War I [Johnson]. Originally named Hudson St.
Still Hill Road – West Woods Rd. N, E, N to Brooksvale Av.; West Woods; on 1852 map
Job Munson ran a distillery on what was called Grimsden Hill on that road in the early 1800s [Hartley p. 165].
Stillwood Road – Hillfield Rd. W to end, continuing W as a paper street to paper section of Lloyd St.; West Woods; first house 1940
Probably also named for Munson's still in the woods, see Still Hill Rd.
Stonewall Drive – Still Hill Rd. W past West Meadow Rd., NW, W to end; West Woods; on 1967 plat
One of the many old stone walls in town may have been near it.
Stowe Court – Millpond Rd. S to end; Mix District; on 1975 plat
Stratton Court – Millpond Rd. N to end; Mix District; on 1975 plat
Stoweand Strattonare towns in Vermont known for skiing, which developer Veggo Larsen enjoyed [Fitzgerald].
Summit Road – Woodland Av. N to Haywood Ln.; Hamden Plains; on 1924 plat
It runs along the summit of a small ridge in the Grand View Ridge subdivision.
Sunnyside Avenue – Cannon St. N to end, continuing N a short distance as a paper street; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
It was in the Sunnyside Heights subdivision, being, in the morning, on the sunny side of a ridge.
Sunset Road – Jones Rd. N to Woodin St. opposite Rochford Av.; Pine Rock; on 1947 plat
Perhaps named to describe attractive sunset views over nearby West Rock Ridge.
Sunwoods Circle – Russo Dr. W and SW to end; West Woods; on 1984 plat
Perhaps named to suggest being a somewhat sunny location in the woods.
Swarthmore Street – Whitney Av. E to Lansdowne Av.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
Swarthmore is a borough in Pennsylvania named for Swarthmore College, which was named for Swarthmoor Hall in England. The borough has a stop on the same commuter rail line as Lansdowne, see Lansdowne Av. The street name was spelled Swathmore on the plat, which is a Pennsylvanian pronunciation of the name.