Pacific Street – Augur St. S to end; Whitneyville; on 1921 plat It seems odd that one of the shortest streets in town is named for the largest geographic feature in the world, the Pacific Ocean. The mystery is explained by a parallel Atlantic St. on the plat. Pacific St. was not completed all the way to Blake Rd., and Atlantic St. never built at all, due to the steep terrain of Mill Rock.
Palmer Avenue – Dixwell Av. opposite Wheeler St. W and NW to Norton Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1917 plat
Origin unknown. It was in the Dixwell Manor subdivision of the City and Suburban Land Co.
Paradise Avenue – Benham St. NE, N past Oxford Rd. to end of first paved section, continuing N as a paper street to end of Bear Path Rd., after an interruption for Laurel View Country Club second paved section resuming N to West Shepard Av., continuing N as a paper street to third paved section continuing N past Laura Rd., continuing N, NE, N, NW as a paper street to end of Booth Ter., fourth paved section from Fans Rock Rd. N to West Woods Rd.; Dunbar Hill, Mix District, West Woods, on 1852 map
A.C. Gilbert, inventor of the Erector Set and founder of a toy company that bore his name, lived here in a house named “Paradise”. Gilbert stated in his 1954 autobiography, The Man Who Lives in Paradise, co-written with Marshall McClintock, that the original owner of the house named it “many years ago”. The surrounding grounds were Gilbert's Paradise Game Preserve. Part of them formed the Paradise Preserve subdivision around Autumn Ridge Rd. and part is now the Paradise Country Club, originally used by Gilbert's employees.
No map has ever shown all the parts of the street connected. The 1852 map showed it continuous from Benham St. to West Shepard Av. The 1856 map extended it a bit further north to the end of the present third paved section. Neither showed the northernmost part at all. The 1868 map showed one continuous part from Benham to Bear Path and another from the end of the present third paved section to West Woods Rd.
The houses on it are numbered to provide numbers for the missing sections. The last house on the northernmost section, only one block long, is number 1975.
Paramount Avenue – Augur St. N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1922 plat
“Paramount” means “above all others” suggesting that this street in the Country Club Gardens subdivision would be highly desirable.
Park Avenue – Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1896 plat
It was in the Whitney Park development consisting of the streets west of Whitney Av. from Athol Pl. to Hawthorne Av. Before the original St. Rita Church was built in 1928, a brook ran between it and Russell St. in a parklike setting.
Park Road – State St. E and N to Ridge Rd.; East Side; on 1927 map
It borders East Rock Parkincluding the section of it containing the Pardee Rose Garden. Although about half of the park is in Hamden, it is entirely maintained by the New Haven parks department.
Parkview Road – Battis Rd. E to Blue Hills Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1951 plat
In the Park Acres subdivision, it has a view of a park now known as Frank Cesare Memorial Field.
Parmelee Drive – Denslow Hill Rd. E to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1954 plat
Arthur Parmelee died in World War I.Misspelled Parmalee on some maps.
Partridge Crossing – Autumn Ridge Rd. opposite Hunters Way S to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1991 plat
Partridgesmay have been in the Paradise Game Preserve that used to occupy the area. See Paradise Av.
Patterson Road – Broadway E to end; Mount Carmel; on 1957 plat
T. J. Patterson, Jr. (1863-1916) is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery.
Pearl Avenue – Circular Av. SW to Willam St.; Hamden Plains; on 1917 plat
It was part of the “Pearl Park” development of the Pearl Development Co., perhaps named for the precious object to suggest value.
Pease Road – Jones Rd. N to Rockwood Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1947 plat
Origin of this street in the Fairview Farms subdivision of Albert Swanson is unknown.
Pecks Lane – Still Hill Rd. E to Lloyd St.,continuing E as a paper street to Hillfield Rd.; West Woods; first house 1936
Seven generations of the Peck family lived in the area from 1740 until 2007 [Richard Peck on social media], perhaps most notably Andrew Peck who died in the Civil War [Abner Oakes].
Pelham Avenue – End S of Briarcliff Rd. N past Cannon St. to end; Mount Carmel; on 1922 plat
Pelham is a town in New York with a stop on the Metro-North New Haven line. See parallel Melrose Av.
Pembroke Road – Fallon Dr. N to Sandquist Cir.; Dunbar Hill; on 1946 plat
Origin of this street in the Sylvan Hills subdivision of Margaret Barraco is unknown.
Penn Street – Cherry Hill Rd. E to Harrison Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1924 plat
Robert T. Penn (1883-1933) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Perry Road – Wintergreen Av. E and NE to Jennifer Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1957 plat
Adjoining property owned by Walter Mikolinksi, it was perhaps named for a member of that family, as were nearby Elizabeth and Stanley roads.
Pershing Street – Dixwell Av. E to Marne St.; Hamden Plains; in 1923 directory
General John J. Pershing commanded the American Expeditionary Force in World War I, including at the Second Battle of the Marne. See Marne St., also Haig St. and Foch St.
Pheasant Lane – Downes Rd. W and S to end; West Woods; on 1995 plat
In the Hunters Glen subdivision along with Deer Pond Trl., pheasants are some of the game that could be hunted in Naugatuck State Forest nearby.
Phelps Drive – Howard Dr. NW, SW, W, S to Howard Dr.; Mix District; on 1965 plat
John P. Phelps (1834-1915) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery, husband of Nancy Gorham Phelps.
Pickwick Road – Ridge Rd. E to Hepburn Rd.; East Side; on 1934 plat
Origin of the name of this street in the Countryside development made by Rubino Construction Co. is unknown. Perhaps associated with Charles Dickens' first novel, The Pickwick Papers.
Pine Rock Avenue – Fitch St. in New Haven N across Hamden line continuing N to Gilbert Av. opposite Valley Rd.; New Haven, Pine Rock; on 1852 map
It is near the Pine Rock traprock ridge, perhaps once covered with pine trees. The ridge had a Native American rock shelter which has been quarried away.
Pine Street – Dixwell Av. W to Dix St.; Highwood; on 1905 plat
Possibly named for pine trees, in keeping with the tradition of naming streets for trees. It was shown but not named on an 1872 plat, named on the 1905 plat.
Pinewood Road – Whitney Av. E to Riverside Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1952 plat
Possibly named for a wooded area of pine trees, in keeping with the tradition of naming streets for trees.
Piper Road – Circular Av. W, S, W, N to Gilbert Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1940 plat
Origin of the name of this street in the Village Farms subdivision made by Y.H. and V.F. Larsen, Inc. is unknown.
Plains Road – Gilbert Av. NW and NE to Circular Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1942 plat
It is in the Hamden Plains neighborhood, which is relatively flat.
Pleasant Drive – Wintergreen Av. SW and SE to West Side Dr.; Pine Rock; on 1946 plat
The street was likely named to suggest being in a pleasant area. Originally named Pleasant Av.
Pond Hollow Drive – Whitney Av. E, S, E, N to end; Private; Mount Carmel; built 1978
It is near a pondin a deep hollow. Also called Pond Hollow Row or simply Pond Hollow.
Pond Road – Noble Ct. NW to Claire Ter.; Hamden Plains; on 1951 plat
It is near Hamden Plains Park, in whose area the 1934 aerial photo shows a large pond.
Pondwood Court – Bender Rd. W to end; Mix District; on 1973 plat
It is in a wooded area that may have had a small pond.
Post Falls Lane – Still Hill Rd. N to end; West Woods; on 1994 plat
There may have been a small waterfall on a nearby brook named for someone named Post.
Prospect Court – Prospect St. W to end; Whitneyville; in 1926 directory
Prospect Lane - Goodrich St. NE to Homelands Ter.; Whitneyville; on 1946 plat
Prospect Street – Grove St. opposite College St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Mill Rock Rd.; New Haven, Whitneyville; in 1856 directory
These streets had a fine prospect or view of the surrounding area from a small ridge between Whitney and Dixwell avenues before they were developed [Townshend]. The ridge is the source of the name of the Prospect Hill neighborhood of New Haven. The houses on Prospect Ct. have consecutive numbers from 2 to 6 going counterclockwise around the cul-de-sac.
Putnam Avenue – Lake Rd. W to Dixwell Av. opposite Helen St. and Circular Av.; Whitneyville, Highwood, Hamden Plains; on 1852 map
Rev. Austin Putnam was an early pastor of Whitneyville church at its corner with Whitney Av. [Fitzgerald].
Quaker Road – Davis St. SE to Franklin Rd.; East Side; on 1946 plat
The Religious Society of Friends, a Christian denomination, are popularly known as Quakers. Many of them lived in Philadelphia at the time of Benjamin Franklin.
Quarry Lane – Cobblestone Dr. SW and W to end; West Woods; on 1990 plat
There was a traprock quarry on the head of the Sleeping Giant.
Quentin Street – Glendale St. NW to Clifford St.; Whitneyville; on 1900 plat
Chandler Quintin, his wife Ida and their children George and Caroline lived nearby at 1271 Whitney in 1920. Caroline, with her last name spelled Quentin (1878-1970), is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. The area at the corner of Treadwell and Mather streets was part of her estate.