During the current COVID-19 emergency, we are offering the link below to the Hamden Fire Retirees' website, which is maintaining links to current updates on the COVID virus coming from official government sources.
The History Room houses over 100 distinct document collections, cataloged and preserved, to meet the research needs and interests of the community. The Library has many texts on state, regional and local history, volumes of agency and government publications, directories of services, and several historical society publications. Regional and town maps from 1854, grave-site directories, family and personal narratives, Bibles, diaries and ledgers from the early families in Hamden complement the document collections and shed additional light on the history of Hamden.
Among the collections:
The Mount Carmel Ecclesiastical Society
The Whitneyville Congregational Church
The Sleeping Giant Park Association Archives
The Hamden Chamber of Commerce
The Webb Family Papers
The Rachel Hartley Files
The Thornton Wilder Papers
The Leather Man Collection
The Rectory School Records
Golden Bells Archives
The Farmington Canal Records
Hamden: Our Architectural Heritage
The Hamden Historical Society Archives
Hamden Historic Districts Collection
Hamden Schools and Board of Education Records
Mount Carmel Free Public Library and Hamden Public Library Archives
Hamden Historical Society Archivist Kathy Lindbeck reports receiving a donation of files (1940s - 1970s) from the League of Women Voters - Hamden/ North Haven Chapter. She writes, "Can’t wait to take a closer look . . . "
The files fill a banker’s box. Size wise it’s a little over a cubic foot of material, containing meeting minutes, flyers, newsletters, membership lists, annual reports, and project specific files. This is a particularly appropriate donation given the current political season.
Among the great treasures of the New Haven Museum collection are the works of New Haven artist George Henry Durrie (1820-1863). As a young man, Durrie studied with Nathaniel Jocelyn and supported himself painting portraits. An advertisement in the 1843 New Haven City Directory touted Durrie as an artist who “… would be pleased to wait upon those who may be desirous of obtaining faithful and correct likenesses.”
Durrie later became known as a landscape painter. He created numerous views of local landmarks and idyllic rural scenes often set in autumn or winter. The New York firm Currier & Ives, which produced lithographic prints of these paintings in the late nineteenth century, further popularized Durrie's work.
In 1841, George Henry Durrie married Sarah Perkins. The couple settled in New Haven and raised three children, George, Benjamin and Mary. Sadly, Durrie died in 1863 at only 43 years old. His art and personal papers, however, live on in the New Haven Museum collection.
We regret to report the passing on July 4th of Betty Ann (Affleck) Osgood, 83, of Hamden. She was the beloved wife of the late John Pallas Osgood. Born in Flushing, NY on June 21, 1937, Betty was the daughter of the late Richard and Dorothy (Bowne) Affleck. She graduated from Hamden High School and worked in customer service for AAA for more than 20 years.
Betty was a very active member of Mt. Carmel Congregational Church as well as a volunteer at the Jonathan Dickerman House in Hamden.
Betty is survived by her children Elizabeth Osgood of Hamden and Tim Osgood and his wife Karen Lupi of Hamden; granddaughter Amanda Osgood; brother Richard Affleck and his wife Aldona of Annandale, VA; and sister-in-law Martha (Osgood) Bryan of Ketchikan, AK. She is also survived by her nephew Richard Affleck; niece Lisa Phillips; and several cousins.
Please keep Betty's family in your thoughts and prayers.
On the Fourth of July 1950, a freak lightning strike killed three and injured several others outside the 65 West Shepard Avenue home of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard A. Dorman, where the organizational meeting of the Mix District Volunteer Fire Co. No. 7 had taken place in November 1924.
The occasion was a gathering of family members and friends to celebrate the birthday of the Dormans' son, Leonard E. Dorman, 20, who was among the injured. The younger Dorman had been a member of Mix District Volunteer Fire Co 7 on Shepard Avenue since 1945. Also among the injured was the late Frank Warner, then 26, also a member of Co. 7. He reported that there was no indication of storm activity in the area. The lightning strike was totally unexpected.
The Hamden Fire Department responded under the command of Capt. Everett Doherty. According to details provided in the Hamden Chronicle article below, a chain hanging from a nearby tree conducted the fatal electrical charge.
This was one of Hamden's earliest mass casualty incidents on record. Police, fire and ambulance personnel worked valiantly to render assistance to the survivors. Rev. Joseph Peters of the Mt. Carmel Congregational Church also responded to render spiritual support to the surviving family members. Three months later, Rev. Peters and Fr. Bernard Miller, assistant pastor at St. Rita's Church, would be appointed the first two chaplains of the Hamden Fire Department.
In the years that followed, this tragic incident was often cited in local warnings for people to avoid standing beneath trees during electrical storms.
The Hamden Chronicle, July 6, 1950 (Courtesy of the Hamden Historical Society)
Capt. Everett Doherty started his career on the Hamden Fire Department in late 1927. He retired in 1966 at the rank of deputy chief. Lt. Paul Leddy was appointed in November 1941. He was promoted to lieutenant in 1949, captain in 1951 and named battalion chief in 1954. In November 1960, B/C Leddy was appointed Chief of the Department, a position in which he served until his 1984 retirement.
Lt. James Strain was appointed in 1942, became a lieutenant in 1949, captain in 1954 and deputy chief in 1961. He retired in 1973. Firefighter Francis "Chalkie" Leddy was appointed in 1946, was promoted to lieutenant in 1956, captain in 1964 and deputy chief in 1970. He retired in 1986.
Firefighter Fred Fletcher was appointed in 1946 and retired in 1980. Firefighter Dan O'Connell joined the department in 1948 and was promoted to lieutenant in 1963. He retired in 1986. Co. 5 volunteer firefighter Joe Rahl joined the department as a career member in 1956. Joe served 33 more years before his retirement in late 1989. Joe, who turned 95 last year just before he passed away, was the last surviving member of the crew mentioned in the 1950 article. He was a member of the Hamden Fire Retirees Association.
Society Honors 3 on 1st Anniversary of Door-Tree Felling
Tuesday, June 30 - Three people who provided crucial assistance to the Society following the destruction of the Door-Tree last summer were each presented with a Door-Tree commnemorative pen meticulously crafted from the wood of the tree. Pictures and story.
One of five commemorative pens crafted by Dave Landino from the wood of the Door-Tree
In April 1638, David Atwater Sr. was one of the original settlers in New Haven and was given a house lot there. But in 1646 he chose to build two miles as the crow flies, into the wilderness of what is now Hamden. Hamden Historical Society Researcher Anthony Griego has been researching the origins of this brick Dutch gambrel roof style house, gone since 1905, in the area later called East Farms/Cedar Hill.
Progress being made on Talmadge Cider Mill Barn rebuild.
May 20th: Framework going up
June 3rd: Rafters in place
June 12th: Roof decking
June 16th: Siding going up!
June 24th: Siding is up
CLICK on the image to see the progress of rebuilding the Cider Mill
Bob Zoni and his crew have been busy rebuilding the Talmadge Cider Mill Barn that was nearly destroyed by the 2018 tornado. Following this past winter, and a wet and chilly spring, Bob & Co. started assembling the framework of the barn on May 20th. Check out the progress by clicking here.
Since the end of World War I, many Hamden streets have been named to honor those Hamden servicemen who have died while serving during wars and other armed conflicts.
In conjunction with Memorial Day Weekend 2020, and continuing his website series on the origins of Hamden street names, Hamden Historical Society Researcher Paul Saubestre is focusing on those Hamden servicemen for whom streets were named in the Sebec Street neighborhood in eastern Hamden.
CLICK HERE for Paul's military profiles on each of these Hamden men from the information available. As with all of Hamden's other fallen servicemen, we hope their sacrifices will always be remembered.
Former Mayor Carusone earlier this year
In his 84 years, former Hamden Mayor John Carusone has cultivated friendships with many of his fellow Hamdenites, not only in the political arena, where he maintained warm relationships with members in both political parties, but also [if you'll pardon] the sports arena as well, which is one of Carusone's greatest passions.
Last month with Memorial Day 2020 approaching, former Hamden Mayor John Carusone wrote to Municipal Historian Dave Johnson and reflected on several of his friends and acquaintances who died in military service during three different wars.
In "Remembering Hamden's Fallen," Johnson presents Carusone's recollections of these fellow Hamdenites, with photos and facts about these brave souls who gave their last full measure of devotion to their country - our country.
Carusone's vivid memories of young Private Edward Duel are perhaps the most poignant. Like so many of the others, this was a young man with a very promising future, who answered his country's call and lost his life only days after his 20th birthday. CLICK HERE!
Check out Paul Saubestre's article about the original and current St. Rita's and St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Churches. The parishes have recently merged, with St. Stephen's Church soon to be put on the market.
Before he and his wife relocated to their new home near Buffalo NY, Mr. Leonard Corwin, formerly of Patterson Road, recently presented the Hamden Historical Society with three pieces of antique furniture from the Corwin family.
Hamden Historical Society Researcher Paul Saubestre is researching the origins of Hamden's street names. In conjunction with the recent Presidents Day holiday, Paul investigated the origins of those streets with the same names as former U.S. presidents.
Hamden Historian David Johnson chonicles the story of the senseless 2019 destruction of Hamden's "Door-Tree," the ensuing world-wide news coverage, and how the vandal was caught. Links to related articles included.
Julie Hulten, a Wallingford school system retiree, has been one of our history room volunteer researchers for several years. For a post-graduate course, Julie recently completed a thoroughly researched outline of Hamden history that encapsulates nearly three-hundred years of Hamden history highlights. Enjoy this great read!
Paul Saubestre's research provides insights into the origins and the present locations of the surviving highway Milestones. All but one of Hamden's milestones have survived along Whitney Avenue - same for Hartford Turnpike.
In a book borrowed from a friend years ago, local historian and Hamden Historical Society researcher Anthony Griego first learned of four skeletons disinterred from what had been the cemetery at the former St. John's Roman Catholic Church, adjacent to what is now Yale-New Haven Hospital. Reporter Liz Teitz interviewed Tony for a September 9, 2019 article in The New Haven Register, which sheds some light on the mystery surrounding those four skeletons - one of them resulting from a judicial hanging.
A couple of Hamden churches, a firehouse, the floor above a hardware store, and even the building that housed Hamden's first telephone exchange, are among the former locations of Hamden's earliest public libraries. Check out Dave Johnson's tour of Hamden's libraries from the turn of the last century to the present.
The late Henry and Lyndell Betzner lived on Maher Avenue. Mrs. Betzner was an avid tag sale attendee. When the Betzner's daughters held their own tag sale years later, some of Mrs. Betzner's Whitneyville memorabilia was included. A couple of the items were purchased by Stan Troski, which he generously donated to the HHS last year. Check it out.
In April 2019, Quinnipiac University junior Shayla Colon and fellow student Joe Torgerson visited the Al Gorman History Room at Miller Library to conduct research for Ms. Colon's project, "Revisiting Hamden." From vintage photos and interviews with longtime Hamdenites, Ms. Colon has painted a portrait of a town that has evolved from the tiny agrarian community of colonial times to a vibrant municipality of more than 60,000 individuals, perhaps on the verge of "cityhood."