Saint James Street – Dixwell Av. W past Merrimac St. to end; Hamden Plains; on 1900 plat
St. James's Theatre was in London from 1835 to 1957, in the St. James's district, named for St. James the Less, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus. The street is in the same subdivision as Savoy St., and there is also a Savoy Theatre nearby in London. St. James Theatre near Broadway in New York City was called Erlanger's Theatre when the street was built, later renamed for the London theatre.
Saint Mary Street – Goodrich St. N to Morse St.; Highwood; on 1865 plat
Perhaps named for the devotion of German immigrants in the area at the time to the Blessed Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus. Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church was at the time named St. Mary Church.
Saint Mihiel Drive – Mueller Dr. W and N to Mueller Dr.; Pine Rock; on1958 plat
Saint-Mihiel, France was the site of a battle in World War I, commanded by General John Pershing (see Pershing St.) The name should be pronounced something like “sammy yell”.
Sandquist Circle – Lane St. W, S, W, N to Hearn Ln.; Dunbar Hill; on 1956 plat
Russell Sandquist died in World War II.
Sanford Street – Dixwell Av. W and SW to Shepard Av.; Centerville, Mix District; on 1852 map
Amos Sanford (1785-1849) is buried in Centerville Cemetery. The Sanford family had an ice business on Turners Pond nearby. John W. Sanford had a house on the 1868 map.
Santa Fe Avenue – Whitney Av. E, SE, E to Ridge Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
After spending much of his life trading in Santa Fe, New Mexico, James J. Webb bought land in the area of the present street for the dairy farm he called Spring Glen. See Spring Glen Ter.
Savoy Street – End S of Carrington St. N to Saint James St.; Hamden Plains; on 1900 plat
Savoy Theatre in London was the home of the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company which performed Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. See Saint James St.
School Street – Washington Av. W to Evergreen Av. opposite Hamden Hills Dr.; Centerville; on 1868 map
One of the town's twelve district schools, No. 5, was on its Washington Av. corner. These schools were mostly wooden one-room schoolhouses which were gradually replaced by larger brick buildings in the first decades of the twentieth century.
Schupp Road – Benham St. N to Cooper Ln. opposite Corene Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1963 plat
Robert Schupp died in World War II.
Scott Street – Dixwell Av. W to Circular Av.; Hamden Plains; in 1913 directory
Samuel Scott (1859-1929) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Sebec Street – State St. W to Ridge Rd.; East Side; on 1919 plat
Sebec is a town in Maine on Sebec Lake, source of Sebec River. These are the only places in the world with the name, which means “great lake”. The east end of the street is near the Quinnipiac River Marsh, one of the largest wetlands in the state. This end was in the State Street Terrace subdivision, with streets all named for Maine towns. See Edgecomb St.
Second Street – Woodin St. W to Fairview Av. opposite Jones Rd.; Highwood; on 1900 plat
It is the second of the numbered streets in the Lenox Place subdivision.
Seminole Avenue – Kenwood Av. NW and N to Sleeping Giant Drive; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
Seminole is a city in Florida near Tampa, named for a Native American people. See Monterey Av.
Serafin Court – Eramo Ter. SE and NE to end; West Woods; first house 1988
Alfonse Serafino (1908-1992) was a civil engineer for the Town.
Servoss Street – Whitney Av. W to Mather St.; Whitneyville; in 1921 directory
May Servoss (1888-1926) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Sheahan Drive – Goebel Rd. E to Earl Av.; Mix District; on 1958 plat
William Sheahan died in World War II.
Shelton Avenue – Dixwell Av. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Morse St.; New Haven, Highwood; in 1865 directory
Charles T. Shelton, a lawyer, lived on it [Townshend].
Shepard Avenue – Dixwell Av. NW, N, NE to Whitney Av.; Hamden Plains, Mix District, West Woods, Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
Alice M. Warner Shepard (1865-1923) was the niece of Wilson Wilcox who died in the Civil War [Carusone]. It was labeled West Woods Road on the 1868 map, the only road named on it. At 4.55 miles, it is the longest street entirely within Hamden.
Shepard Hill Road – Shepard Av. W to end; Private; Mix District; on 1972 plat
It serves a condominium complex on a hill beside Shepard Av.
Shepard Street – Bassett St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Marlboro St.; New Haven, Highwood; in 1865 directory
Several people named Shepard lived in the area [Townshend].
Sherman Avenue – New Rd. NW, W, SW, S, SW, S, W to Kirk Rd.; Mount Carmel, West Woods, Mix District; on 1852 map
Sherman Lane – Hamden Hills Dr. W, NW, W to Sherman Av.; Mix District; in 1948 directory
Nathaniel Sherman was the first pastor of Mt. Carmel Congregational Church, which is at its corner with Whitney. He was a brother of Roger Sherman, only signer of all four documents establishing the United States, and senator from Connecticut.
The portion of Sherman Av. from New Rd. to Whitney Av. does not align exactly with the portion west of Whitney. The portion of it west of Shepard Av. is sometimes called Sherman Av. Ext. but this designation is not necessary since the house numbers continue.
Sherman Ln. joins Sherman Av. where it makes its last turn from S to W. It has address numbers 1 and 3 on its left side in the increasing direction and 2 on the right.
Sherman Parkway – Goffe St. opposite Sherman Av. in New Haven NW and N across Hamden line to Cherry Ann St. opposite Bowen St.; New Haven, Highwood; named 1926
Sherman Av. in New Haven was named for Union Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman in 1865 [Townshend]. The northern portion of it, being in a parklike setting, was given the Parkway designation, and a tiny bit of it extends just over the Hamden line.
Short Hill Road – Whitney Av. E to Mountain View Ter.; North Haven; on 1922 plat
It goes a short distance up the hill toward Ridge Rd. It is entirely in North Haven but provides vehicular access to the New Haven Korean Church just over the line in Hamden.
(Return to Main Page or go to Si-Sw)