Raccio Park Road – Sherman Av. E, SE, E to end; Mix District; on 1987 plat
Howard Raccio is the owner of Howard Paving on the street.
Raelin Road – Shepard Av. W and SW to end; Mix District; on 1973 plat
It was in the Shepard Brook Estates subdivision made by Raelin Development Co.
Rainbow Court – Rocky Top Rd. N to end; Mix District; first house 1982
Probably named to suggest rainbows would be especially attractive from its hilly location.
Ralston Avenue – Whitney Av. W to Clifford St.; Whitneyville; first house 1904
Possibly named for William F. Ralston (d. 1959), buried in Beaverdale Memorial Park. Ralston Av. was, according to Martha Becker, “The street to live on in the 1920s.”
Ranch Road – Gillies Rd. SE and E to Wright Ln.; Spring Glen; on 1950 plat
It has all ranch-style houses on one side of it, somewhat unusual in Spring Glen.
Rayzoe Terrace – West Shepard Av. N to end, continuing further N as a paper street and also S from West Shepard Av. to end; Mix District; first house 1961
Origin uncertain. Perhaps a variation on the name of Charles Rayzee (1920-1978), a World War II veteran whose name appears on the Hamden Veterans' Memorial.
Read Road – Costanzo Ct. W to Robertson Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1984 plat
Robert B. Read died in the Vietnam War.
Red Rock Terrace – Dixwell Av. W to Lakeview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1910 plat
Perhaps the ridge it ascends was made of red rock. Originally named George St.
Remington Street – Harris St. N, NE, N to Augur St.; Highwood; on 1927 map
Robert Remington died in World War I. Originally named Central Ln.
Reniew Road – Phelps Dr. NW and N to end; Mix District; on 1966 plat
Origin unknown. It was part of the Rolling Brook Estates subdivision made by Adla Homes, Inc. (see Adla Dr.)
Renshaw Road – Whitney Av. E to end; Mount Carmel; on 1965 plat
Origin unknown. It constituted the Marion Acres subdivision on land of Marion and John Wolanic.
Rentell Road – Howard Dr. NW and N to Four Rod Rd.; Mix District; on 1952 plat
Arthur Rentell died in World War II.
Reservoir Street – Ogden St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Briar Ln.; New Haven, Whitneyville; in 1912 directory
There was a reservoir nearby on Prospect Hill [Townshend].
Reyna Road – West Helen St. N to Lucy St.; Pine Rock; on 1932 plat
Origin unknown. It was in the Pine Brook Gardens subdivision.
Richard Drive – Megin Dr. W to Schupp Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1947 plat
Richard Megin died in the Korean War. See also Megin Dr.
Ridge Road – State St. NW, N across North Haven line, continuing N, NE, N to Mount Carmel Av. at Hamden line; East Side, Spring Glen, North Haven; on 1852 map
Lying the ridge extending north from East Rock, it was likely one of the first roads in Hamden to be cleared, following a trail used by the indigenous Quinnipiac tribe to travel between New Haven Harbor for fishing and Sleeping Giant for hunting. Part of its North Haven section is sometimes called Outer Ridge Rd. The last house on it, at the corner of Mount Carmel Av., in North Haven right at the Hamden town line, is numbered 5200, the highest house number in greater New Haven by standard numbering (but see Town Walk Dr.)
Ridgewood Avenue – Whitney Av. in North Haven opposite Glendower Rd. in Hamden E, SW across Hamden line, continuing SW and S to Santa Fe Av.; North Haven, Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
Ridgewood Court – Ridgewood Ter. in North Haven E across Hamden line and S to end; North Haven, Mount Carmel; on 1984 plat
Ridgewood Terrace – Ridge Rd. in North Haven N to end; North Haven; in 1941 directory
All three of these streets are in heavily wooded land near Ridge Rd. The first two cross the Hamden-North Haven town line. Ridgewood Ter. is entirely in North Haven but provides the only access to Ridgewood Ct., and, like all streets in North Haven not adjacent to Hamden, has odd numbers on the left side.
River Road – Tuttle Av. NE and E to Still Hill Rd.; Mount Carmel, West Woods; on 1852 map
It crosses the Mill River. The portions of it on either side of Whitney Av. do not align exactly.
Riverside Drive – James St. N, NW, W to Whitney Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1912 plat
It is beside the Mill River. The street was originally named Hudson St., perhaps for the Hudson River, in a subdivision by Veggo Larsen called Riverside Drive.
Robert Street – Dixwell Av. W to Lakeview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1922 plat
This street in the Lake View Crest Extension subdivision was on property of Robert Bassett. Evidently he couldn't decide which of his names to put on the street, for it was originally called Bassett Avenue.
Robertson Drive – End N of Costanzo Ct. SW and S to end past Read Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1983 plat
Pierce Robertson died in the Vietnam War.
Robin Hill Lane – Sherman Av. N to end; Mount Carmel; first house 1988
The American Robin is the state bird of Connecticut. The short street is on a small hill above Clarks Pond.
Robinwood Road – Corner of Ridge Rd. and Hartford Tpk. E and N to end; East Side; on 1947 plat
Perhaps for the American Robin and being in a wooded area.
Rochford Avenue – Woodin St. N to Helen St.; Hamden Plains; on 1938 plat
F. Raymond Rochford was first selectman 1933-1946, the longest serving first selectman or mayor.
Rockview Road – Rockwood Rd. S to Jones Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1942 plat
It has a view of Pine Rock.
Rockwood Road – Pine Rock Av. opposite Welch St. E, SE, E to Sunset Road; Pine Rock; on 1942 plat
It was in a wooded area near Pine Rock.
Rocky Top Road – Shepard Av. E, NE, SE, E, NE, S, E to Sherman Av.; Mix District; on 1852 map
There was a resort nearby called Rocky Top, descriptive of the terrain of the hill, in the early 1900s.
Rogers Road – Hartford Tpk. E and N to Davis St.; East Side; on 1927 plat
E.W. Rogers operated a horsecar from New Haven to Whitneyville in the 1860s [Hartley p. 300].
Rolfe Road – Blake Rd. N to Augur St.; Whitneyville; on 1900 plat
William Rolfe (1851-1930), a brick mason, is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven. Originally named Woodland Street.
Rolling Ridge Road – Broadway SW, SE, S to North Haven line, continuing as Marion Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1967 plat
It is on a ridge of small rolling hills near Mill River.
Roosevelt Street – Battis Rd. E to Garfield St.; Hamden Plains; on 1929 plat
President Theodore Roosevelt was in office 1901-1909. The street was developed before the term of President Franklin D. Roosevelt [Fitzgerald]. It intersects Garfield St., likely named for President Garfield.
Rose Street – Noble St. NW to Battis Rd.; Hamden Plains; on 1928 plat
Robert L. Rose appears on Fitzgerald's list as a World War II casualty, but the street was named long before the start of the war, possibly for a relative of the landowner, Henry D. Peters, or for the flower.
Rosedale Road – Bradley Av. N and E to end; Hamden Plains; on 1940 plat
It was in the Rosedale subdivision of the Fusco Amatruda Co.
Rosina Road – Welch St. S and W to Thomas St.; Pine Rock; on 1948
The area was originally owned by Rosina Dadio.
Rossotto Drive – Sherman Av. E to end; Mix District; on 1981 plat
It is in the Rossotto Industrial Park developed by John and Virginia Rossotto.
Russell Street – Whitney Av. W, SW, W to end past Coram St.; Spring Glen; on 1896 plat
Ransom C. Russell (1829-1912) served in the Civil War and is buried in State Street Cemetery.
Russo Drive – West Woods Rd. N past Sunwoods Cir. and NW to end; on 1957 plat