Nature Trail – Downes Rd. W, SW, W, to end; West Woods; in 2002 directory
It is surrounded by natural land owned by the Regional Water Authority.
New Road – Ives St. opposite South New Rd. N, NE, NW to Mount Carmel Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1862 map
This is just a new name for one of the oldest streets in Hamden. It was originally named River Road, for paralleling Mill River.
Newbury Street – Winchester Av. W to Newhall St.; Whitneyville; on 1927 map
Origin uncertain, perhaps for any of several places named Newbury.
Newcastle Drive – Gilbert Av. SW, W, NW to Hodder Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1961 plat
Origin uncertain, perhaps for any of several places named Newcastle.
Newhall Street – Division St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Putnam Av. opposite Leeder Hill Dr.; New Haven, Highwood, Whitneyville; on 1868 map
George T. Newhall (1821-1902) was a manufacturer of carriages on the New Haven portion of the street [Townshend]. Hamden portion was originally named Cohansey Av.
Newton Street - Dixwell Av. W to Circular Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1954 plat
John Newton (1819-1895) served in the Civil War is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery. Newton is a city in Massachusetts not far from Lexington and the street is two blocks south of Lexington St.
Nicholas Court - Deerfield Dr. opposite Exeter Rd. N to end; West Woods; in 2003 directory
Possibly named for someone associated with the developers of the Founders Preserve subdivision, Woodwyn Builders. Originally named Founders Way.
Nista Drive – Knob Hill Dr. N to end; Mount Carmel; on 1953 plat
Salvatore Nista died in World War II. It is one of the shortest streets in Hamden, with just one house on it.
Noble Court – Pond Rd. oppoiste Noble St. E to Blue Hills Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1946 plat
Noble Street – Circular Av. NE to Pond Rd. opposite Noble Ct.; Hamden Plains; on 1928 plat
Origin unknown. Noble St. was part of a subdivision made by Hamden Plains Realty Co. Noble Ct. was in the Willowdale subdivision of Henry Dickerman Peters.
Nolan Road – Shepard Av. W to Old Coach Hwy.; Mix District; on 1973 plat
John H. Nolan (1885-1979) owned land in the area and his descendants continue to live there. Two grandsons operate the Nolan Monument Company. [Report from his granddaughter, Mary Nolan Foster.]
Norman Road – Heathridge Rd. NW and NE to Dunbar Hill Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1957 plat
Origin uncertain; perhaps some association with the Normanpeople who settled in the Normandy region of France starting in the eleventh century or their style of architecture.
Norris Street – Whitney Av. W to Bedford Av.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Norris Mix was first selectman 1865-1866 and 1876-1879 and represented Hamden in the General Assembly 1878-1879 [Becker].
North Lake Drive – Whitney Av. NW and SW to Servoss St.; Private; Whitneyville; in 1959 directory
It is near the northern part of Lake Whitney.
North Sheffield Street – Goodrich St. N to Morse St.; Whitneyville; on 1929 plat
It is a northern continuation of a street in New Haven named for Joseph Earl Sheffield, financier of the nearby Farmington Canal and railroad [Townshend]. The Albertus Magnus College campus lies between the two streets.
North Street – Dixwell Av. W to Fairview Av.; Highwood; on 1872 plat
William Burnham North (1844-1904), buried in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven, was a hardware manufacturer. Perhaps coincidentally, it was the northernmost street shown on some early maps of New Haven.
North Woods Road – Downes Rd. E and SE to end; West Woods; on 1987 plat
It is in the woods in the northern part of town.
Norton Avenue – Palmer Av. N to end; Hamden Plains; on 1917 plat
George B. Norton (1878-1959) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Norwood Avenue – Whitney Av. E to Riverside Dr.; Centerville; on 1912 plat
John H. Norwood (1866-1919) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. It was in the Norwood subdivision, perhaps named for being in a wooded area north of the center of Centerville.
Notkins Street – Woodin St. N to Helen St.; Highwood; on 1921 plat
Matthew R. Notkins (1880-1924) was in the real estate and insurance business in New Haven.
Nutmeg Hill Road – Rocky Top Rd. S and W to end; Mix District; on 1988 plat
“Nutmeg State” is one nickname of Connecticut. The street ascends a small hill.
Oak Ridge Drive – Glen Ridge Rd. S to end; Centerville; in 2001 directory
It is on a small ridge where there may have been oak trees. It has only four houses around its cul-de-sac, numbered going clockwise 20, 30, 40, and 50.
Oakwood Lane – Busher Ln. N, NE, N to Tom Swamp Rd.; West Woods; on 1988 plat
Named perhaps because there were oak trees here, or in keeping with tradition of naming streets for trees.
Oberlin Road – Pine Rock Av. W, SW, W, S, E, S to Woodin St.; Pine Rock; on 1940 plat
A. Frederick Oberlin (1891-1938) was awarded the Silver Star for service in World War I. After the war, he was the civil engineer for the Davis St. bridge. He is depicted on the windows in the Town Hall rotunda.
October Hill Road – Still Hill Rd. S to end, with a separate section starting S from Wagner Rd. as a paper street then E as a paved street past the end of the main section to end; West Woods; on 1956 plat
Perhaps named to suggest the street going over a small hill would have attractive foliage in October. The song “Love's Been Good to Me” has a lyric about “October Hill” but was written in 1963. The separate section is numbered as if it were part of Wagner Rd.
Old Cannon Street – Whitney Av. SW to Cannon St.; Mount Carmel; named on 1985 plat
Maps going back to 1852 show a slight bend in Cannon St. near Whitney Av. The 1934 aerial photo showed a section added to intersect Whitney about 200 feet south of the old section, which remained. The old and new sections were both Cannon St. until around the time of the 1985 plat.
Old Chauncey Road – Dunbar Hill Rd. E to end; Dunbar Hill; named on 1971 plat
Maps going back to 1852 show this street connecting what was the northern end of Dunbar Hill Rd. (just north of its intersection with Chauncey Rd.) to approximately where Heathridge Rd. is now. It continued past its present end on a bridge over Farm Brook, no longer extant. It was in the Covered Bridge Circle subdivision, and a 1972 plat gave the street that name, but it reverted to Old Chauncey Rd.
Old Coach Highway – Nolan Rd. N to end; Mix District; on 1973 plat
It was part of the route of an old coach highway, shown on old maps but no longer extant, connecting to the western end of West Woods Rd.
Old Dixwell Avenue – Evergreen Av. E to Dixwell Av.; Centerville; on 1852 map
Heading west from Town Hall, Dixwell Av. originally continued straight to what is now Evergreen Av. It then turned sharply south to follow what is now Evergreen, then turned to the southwest on the current Dixwell route. Some time between 1927 and 1934, Dixwell was rerouted on a gentle curve with the straight portion renamed Old Dixwell.
Old Farm Road – Ridge Rd. E to Hartford Tpk.; North Haven; on 1928 plat
It follows what may have been an old road providing access to James Webb's farm from Hartford Tpk. The street itself is entirely in North Haven but six houses on its south side are in Hamden.
Old Hill Road – Sherman Av. W to end; West Woods; on 1852 map
It is an old road extending part way up York Hill. The 1852 map showed it continuing south from its present end to connect to what is now Rocky Top Rd.
Old Lane Road – South Main St. in Cheshire SE to Old Farms Rd., continuing SE as a paper street then resuming as an actual street to Tuttle Av. at Wallingford line opposite Mansion Rd.; Cheshire; on 1852 map
It is simply an old lane, entirely in Cheshire but with some houses on its south side in Hamden and providing the only access to Bruschayt and Darley drives in Hamden.
Old Pasture Road – Deer Hill Rd. W to end; West Woods; on 1985 plat
An old pasture may have been in the area.
Olds Street – State St. W to Maple St.; East Side; on 1927 plat
Henry H. Olds(d. 1888) had a farm in North Haven and a pie bakery in New Haven.
Orchard Court – Dessa Dr. NE and E to end; Spring Glen; on 1947 plat
Orchards can be seen nearby on 1934 aerial photos.
Orchard Heights Drive – Hodder Dr. W and N to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1965 plat
Orchards can be seen nearby on 1934 aerial photos. It ascends the height of a hill.
Oregon Avenue – Dixwell Av. E to Bismarck Ct.; Hamden Plains; on 1900 plat
USS Oregon was a battleship in the Spanish-American War, named for the state. See nearby Bagley Av.
Orpington Street – Augur St. S to Lamkin St.; Whitneyville; on 1925 plat
Perhaps named for Orpington, an area southeast of London.
Overlook Drive – Sherman Av. NW, N, NE to end; Mix District; on 2000 plat
It is on a ridge overlooking Shepard Brook.
Oxford Road – Paradise Av. E and NE to Skyview Cir.; Mix District; on 1980 plat
Oxford is a city in the United Kingdom with a prominent university.