Ingleside Drive – Leonard Rd. W and S to Gilbert Av.; Dunbar Hill; on 1946 plat
Ingleside is an archaic term for fireside, intended to evoke warm feelings of hearth and home.
Ingram Street – Howell Av. W past Greenway St. to end; Spring Glen; on 1927 plat
Lucy H. Ingram (1880-1956) lived nearby on Bedford Av.
Ives Street – Whitney Av. E, NE, E, NE, N to North Haven line, continuing E to Ridge Rd.; State Route 22 from Whitney Av. to Broadway; Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
Alling Ives died in the Revolutionary War [Carusone] and Edgar D. Ives died in the Civil War. The Ives family made carriage hardware.
Jackson Road – Ridge Rd. E to Hartford Tpk.; Spring Glen; on 1950 plat
It was on property of J. Frederick Jackson (1881-1956), a carpenter who lived on Hawthorne Av. in 1930 . The western half of it was shown on a 1929 plat of the “Ridgerood” subdivision as Tokeneke Rd., but not actually built at that time. The eastern half was platted with the Jackson Rd. name in 1950 and built shortly thereafter, followed by the western half in 1952. It may have been named then for William B. Jackson, who died in World War II. Coincidentally, President Andrew Jackson visited Whitney's armory in 1833 [Hartley p. 212], likely the only President to visit Hamden while in office.
Jaenicke Lane - Augur St. N and W to Lilac Av.; Whitneyville; on 1914 plat
Henry E. Jaenicke (1870-1949) was a railroad worker who was born in Germany and lived on Augur St. in 1930. According to notes from Martha Becker, he also farmed in the area. Edward F. Jaenicke (1884-1978) was a carpenter who lived on Augur St. and is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
James Street – Whitney Av. E to Riverside Dr.; Centerville; on 1912 plat
It was on land of James H. Webb (1854-1924), son of James J. Webb who owned the Spring Glen Farm. See Spring Glen Ter.
Jamestown Road – Vernon St. NW to Evergreen Av.; Centerville; on 1967 plat
Perhaps named for Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English settlement in the Americas, founded in 1607.
Jayne Lane – Hillview Av. SW to end; Mix District; on 1951 plat
Harold B. Jayne (1900-1984) was a salesman who lived on Hawthorne Av. in 1940.
Jean Street – Merritt St. N to end; East Side; on 1919 plat
Jean was the daughter of property owner Alice E. MacLeod, who lived in New Haven.
Jennifer Road – Stanley Rd. W, S, SE to Perry Rd; Dunbar Hill; on 1959 plat
Perhaps named for a member of the Mikolinski family, as were Stanley Rd. and Elizabeth Rd., also in the Sunnyside Acres subdivision.
Jesswig Drive – High Meadow Rd. N and W to Ridge Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1941 plat
An unusual portmanteau name for this street developed by Petra and Ludwig Jessen.
Johnson Road – Hillfield Rd. N and NW to Still Hill Rd.; West Woods; on 1852 map
Charles Johnson died in the Civil War [Carusone]. The first house on it is numbered 100.
Jones Road – Pine Rock Av. E, S, E to Fairview Av. opposite Second St.; Pine Rock; on 1946 plat
Burton Jones was first selectman in 1917. Isaac Jones (1832-1908) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery. Many other Joneses are buried there and some in the cemeteries in Centerville and Mt. Carmel.
Joseph Lane – Wintergreen Av. S, W, N to Wintergreen Av.; Dunbar Hill; on 1992 plat
It was on property of Ralph and Joseph DeMatteo.
Joyce Road – Paper street starting at Bethany line N to just south of Hidden Brook Rd., continuing as a paved street N to West Woods Rd., resuming as a paper street N to West Todd St. opposite Joyce Rd. II; West Woods; on 1950 plat
Joyce Road II – West Todd St. opposite paper section of Joyce Rd. N to end of paved section at Lancelot Way, continuing N as a paper street to Tom Swamp Rd. opposite Julian Dr.; West Woods; on 1987 plat
Robert Joyce died in World War II [Shepard, Johnson].
Julian Drive – Tom Swamp Rd. N to end of paved section, continuing N as a paper street to Brooksvale Park; West Woods; on 1981 plat
Possibly for a relative of the developer named Julian. It was for a time incorrectly signed as Juliano Dr.
Katherine Drive – Lane St. E, NE, N to end past East Clover Cir.; Dunbar Hill; on 1960 plat
Possibly for a relative of its first developer, Albert Swanson, named Katherine. The street name is spelled Kathrine in the tax assessor listing.
Kaye Vue Drive – Mix Av. N, NE, E to Mix Av.; Private; Hamden Plains; on 1964 plat
It serves the Kaye Vue Apartments, which have a fine view from their hillside location.
Kelly Road – West Woods Rd. S, SE, S to Fans Rock Rd.; West Woods; on 1957 plat
Norman Kelly died in World War II.
Kenwood Avenue – End near SW corner of Sherman Av. and Whitney Av. SW and E to Evergreen Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
In the Kenwood subdivision, perhaps for someone named Ken and being in a wooded area. The 1924 plat showed only the portion heading E to Evergreen. The portion heading SW was originally part of Sherman Av. To eliminate a narrow bridge over the Farmington Canal railroad (now Greenway), in the 1980s Sherman Av. was relocated to the west and the SW portion took on the name of the existing east-west portion.
Killdeer Road – Hartford Tpk. E, SE, E to Ridge Rd.; East Side; on 1926 plat
When developer Veggo Larsen purchased the property, its owner asked him to name it for thekilldeer, a bird named for its call, that nested there [Fitzgerald].
Kimberly Road – West Woods Rd. S and SE to end; West Woods; on 1968 plat
Ezra Kimberly (1769-1809) is buried in Mt. Carmel Cemetery.
King Street – Mather St. W to Clifford St.;Whitneyville; on 1903 plat
Daniel R. King (1839-1901) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Kirk Road – End on grounds of Bear Path School N to Funaro Rd., continuing as a paper street N to West Shepard Av.; Mix District; on 1957 plat
Fred Kirk was the first president and his brother Dwight the first captain of the Mix District fire company [Hartley p. 422]. Charles Kirk (1800-1865) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Klarman Drive – Sleeping Giant Dr. N, NE. NW to Kenwood Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1955 plat
John R. Klarman died in World War II.
Knob Hill Drive – Evergreen Av. W, NW, W, S to Forest St.; Mount Carmel; on 1952 plat
It is in the Knob Hill subdivision, on a hill that somewhat resembles a knob.
Knoll Drive – Whitney Av. NE, S, SW to Willowcrest Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1950 plat