Michael Road – Woodin St. S, E, NE to Thomas St.; Pine Rock; on 1948 plat
Michael Giordano (1917-1992) was employed by a construction company and lived in Branford. The street was in the Brookvale subdivision developed by Giordano Construction Co. of Branford.
Middle Road – Santa Fe Av. N and NE to Underhill Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1922 plat
It is near the middle of the slope up from Whitney Av. to Ridge Rd.
Midhill Drive – High Top Cir. S to end; Pine Rock; on 1968 plat
It is on the middle of the hill behind Pine Rock. Originally named High Top Cir. East.
Midwood Court – Still Hill Rd. W to end, continuing as West Meadow Rd.; West Woods; on 1977 plat
It is in the middle of woods.
Miles Street – Hobson St. W to Victor St.; Hamden Plains; on 1898 plat
John Miles (1866-1897) is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery.
Mill Rock Road – Armory St. N and W past Newhall St. to end; Whitneyville, Highwood; on 1870 map
It is at the foot of Mill Rock. A grist mill was near its base as early as 1640.
Millis Street – Dixwell Av. W to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1919 plat
Origin uncertain; perhaps for the town of Millis, Massachusetts. It is in the Benham Heights subdivision made by Bodwell Realty.
Millpond Road – Sanford St. NE, N, W to junction of Stowe Ct. and Stratton Ct.; Mix District; on 1975 plat
It is near Turners Pond, dammed for a mill.
Misty Meadow Lane – West Todd St. S and SE to end; West Woods; on 1989 plat
Perhaps the area was a meadowseen by the developers, G. F. Construction, Inc., on a misty morning. It was originally named just Meadow Ln., likely renamed to prevent confusion with Meadow Rd. in Hamden Plains.
Mix Avenue – Benham St. NE and N to Shepard Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1852 map
Johnathan Mix was a Revolutionary War soldier and inventor of a type of carriage spring who lived on nearby Cherry Hill [Hartley]. Before construction of Wilbur Cross Pkwy., the street began at Circular Av. The portion south of the parkway was renamed Battis Rd. See entry for that street.
Moler Mountain Road – Mount Carmel Av. NW and NE to end; Private; Mount Carmel; name on 1968 deed
Donald R. and Joanna Moler owned land here on the side of the Sleeping Giant mountain.
Monroe Street – Marion Av. E to end, continuing E as paper street to Linden Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1917 plat
Origin uncertain, perhaps for President James Monroe, or for George M. Monroe, a house carpenter who lived on Dixwell Av. in 1910. The plat showed it extending from Orchard St. to Linden Av. A 1927 map showed it extending to Whitney Av.
Monterey Avenue – Kenwood Av. NW and N to Sleeping Giant Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
Perhaps named for the city of Monterey on the California coast. It is between avenues with names connected to places in Pennsylvania (Luzerne) and Florida (Seminole).
Morgan Lane – Lane St. SW and NW to Gilbert Av.; Dunbar Hill; on 1954 plat
M. Francis Morgan died in World War II.
Morningview Court – Talmadge Rd. N to end; West Woods; on 2003 plat
Perhaps named to suggest there would be fine views in the morning from its location on the eastern slope of Gaylord Mountain. Although all the lots are at least 85 feet wide, the houses have consecutive odd and even numbers, which would ordinarily indicate 20-foot spacing.
Morris Street – Blake Rd. N to Augur St.; Whitneyville; on 1921 plat
Morris Steinert (1831-1912) was active in cultural affairs in the late 1800s and founded the New Haven Symphony Orchestra [Fitzgerald]. He lived in the area and after his death his estate became the Steinert Estate subdivision, with streets also named for his wife Caroline and their children Heloise and Frederick.
Morse Street – Prospect St. W to Dixwell Av.; Whitneyville, Highwood; on 1865 plat
Gardner Morse was a real estate agent in New Haven. Truman L. Morse (1812-1878) is buried in Centerville Cemetery.
Mott Street – Burke St. W to Fairview Av.; Highwood; on 1872 plat
Origin uncertain, perhaps some connection to the Mott St. in Manhattan, New York City.
Moulton Street – Belmont St. NW to Gessner Pl.; Whitneyville; on 1919 plat
H. Truman Moulton (1855-1917) and his wife Minnie (1859-1930) are buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. The street was developed after his death on property she owned.
Mount Carmel Avenue – Whitney Av. SE and NE, then straddling North Haven line and continuing NE, E, SE, NE to Hartford Tpk. in North Haven; Secondary State Route 453 from Whitney Av. to entrance of Sleeping Giant State Park; Mount Carmel, North Haven; on 1852 map
It is to the south of the Sleeping Giant, whose highest peak, on the left hip, is named Mount Carmel. Early settlers named the peak for its supposed resemblance to the biblical Mt. Carmel. Originally named Mountain St.
Mount Carmel Connector – Interstate 91 Exit 10 in North Haven W and NW across Hamden line to Whitney Av. (State Route 10); State Route 40; North Haven, Mount Carmel; completed 1976
This name is popularly used for the stub expressway. It has two oddities, both in the North Haven portion: it is the only expressway in the state with a single numbered exit (numbered 1) and the only place in the state where two expressways cross without any interchange between them (Wilbur Cross Pkwy., Route 15). The portion from I-91 to Exit 1 was built in 1972.
Mount Sanford Road – South Main St. in Cheshire W, SW across Hamden line, NW straddling town line then NW in Cheshire to South Brooksvale Rd.; Cheshire, Mount Carmel, West Woods; on 1852 map
It is on the foothills of Mount Sanfordwhose summit is the highest point in Bethany with points nearby being the highest elevations in Hamden and Cheshire. Several people named Sanford had houses in the area on the 1852 map, the closest an E. Sanford on what is now Rt. 42 in the extreme southeastern corner of Prospect, a quarter mile from the northwestern corner of Hamden.
Mountain Road – Main St. W, N, NE, SE to intersection of Main St. and Chauncey Road; Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
It is beside mountainous West Rock Ridge. There are no intersections over its length of more than 1.6 miles, the longest such stretch in Hamden.
Mueller Drive – Woodin St. N and W to end; Pine Rock; on 1958 plat
William Mueller died in World War II.
Mulberry Hill Street - Hartford Tpk. E to Ridge Rd.; East Side; on 1927 map
Mulberry flowering plants may have been in this hilly area.
Murlyn Road – Dickerman Rd. N to Home Pl.; Mount Carmel;in 1929 directory
Murlyn Dickerman (1912-2000) lived nearby at 3070 Whitney.The second cousin thrice removed of Elizabeth and Abbie Dickerman (see Home Pl.), he had a notable career in forestry.
Murray Street – Woodin St. N to Helen St.; Hamden Plains; on 1928 plat
Esther Murray Augur (1832-1905) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Myra Road – Ridge Rd. E to Hepburn Rd.; East Side; on 1929 plat
Myra L. Davis Burton (1865-1901), buried in Whitneyville Cemetery, was the mother of John E. Burton, one of the original landowners.