Gallagher Road – Putnam Av. SW and S to Hamden Park Dr.; Highwood; named 2011
John Gallagher died in the Vietnam War. His helicopter was shot down in Laos in 1968. He was MIA until his remains were identified in 2007
Garden Street – Beacon St. N to Church St.; Hamden Plains; on 1909 plat
Perhaps named to suggest houses on it would have attractive gardens. Although there are no houses fronting on the street now, the 1909 plat of Prospect Park showed lots on it. Concord St. extended only from Dixwell to this street at the time.
Garfield Street – Benham St. S to Roosevelt St.; Hamden Plains; on 1929 plat
James Garfield was President for 6 months in 1881. The street intersects Roosevelt St., named for President Theodore Roosevelt.
Garvin Road – End S of MacArthur Dr. E and N to River Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1954 plat
Edward Garvin died in World War II. The reason for its unusual numbering, starting at the cul-de-sac with 101 and going up from there, is unknown.
Gate Way – Shepard Av. E and N to end; West Woods; on 1973 plat
There is a stone gateway at its end to a driveway of a private estate.
Gaylord Mountain Road – West Woods Rd. N, NW, N, W, NW, W across Bethany line to Carrington Rd. (State Route 69) in Bethany; West Woods, Bethany; on 1852 map
Alling Gaylord owned land in the area [Fitzgerald]. House of Abr. Gaylord is near it on the 1852 map. Marshall Gaylord died in the Civil War [Hartley p. 286].
Gem Street – West Read St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Goodrich St.; New Haven, Highwood; on 1868 map
Possibly named for the initials of George, Elizabeth, and Marvin, children of Atwater Treat, builder of the area [Townshend].
George Street – Dixwell Av. W to Burke St.; Highwood; on 1936 map
George W. Whiting (d. 1915) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. House of G.W. Whiting is at its corner with Dixwell on the 1868 map. It is in the Whiting Park subdivision and Whiting St. is one block north.
Gessner Place – Moulton St. SW to Mather St.; Whitneyville; on 1919 plat
David N. Gessener (1859-1922) is buried in B'nai Scholom Cemetery. Originally named Sherman St.
Gilbert Avenue – Circular Av. SW, NW, N, W, NW to Benham St.; Hamden Plains, Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
Moses Gilbert died in the Revolutionary War [Carusone]. Matthew Gilbert lived in the area. Griswold Gilbert was first selectman in 1843 [Hartley p. 388].
Giles Street – Blake Rd. N to Augur St.; Whitneyville; on 1872 plat
According to notes by Martha Becker, James Giles (1815-1900) was a Black man who lived in the first house on the left of the street going uphill. He was listed in the 1870 census as working in a cigar shop and as a whitewasher in 1880. He was listed in the 1895 city directory as living on Saint Mary St.
Gillies Road – Whitney Av. E, NE, E, NE; Spring Glen; on 1940 plat
James Gillies (1877-1938) owned an estate there. Ironically, while he was chairman of the fire commission, his barn burned down [Hartley p. 419]. His homestead is now the St. Rita preschool.
Glemby Street – Woodin St. N to Helen St.; Highwood; on 1923 plat
Origin of the name of this street on property of Harry J. Alenier is unkown.
Glen Parkway – Whitney Av. E and SE to Broadfield Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
It is in the Spring Glen Estates subdivision of the Spring Glen neighborhood. See Spring Glen Ter.
Glen Ridge Road –Hamden Hills Dr. SE, NE, SE to end; Centerville; in 2001 directory
It is on a ridge above a glen along the Farmington Canal.
Glenbrook Avenue – Woodin St. N to Helen St.; Pine Rock; on 1923 plat
Perhaps named for the Glenbrook neighborhood of Stamford, which has a stop on the New Canaan branch of Metro-North, or perhaps there was once a brookin a glen in the area. See Elmer Av.
Glendale Street – Putnam Av. N and NE to Quentin St.; Whitneyville; on 1900 plat
Glendale is a neighborhood in the Queens borough of New York City. See nearby Belmont St.
Glendower Road – Whitney Av. opposite Ridgewood Av. in North Haven W to end; Spring Glen; on 1929 plat
Glenham Road – Whitney Av. W to Marion Av; Mount Carmel; on 1922 plat
Perhaps named for the hamlet of Glenham, New York, near the Hudson River. It is parallel to Briarcliff St., also named for a place near the Hudson, in the Westerleigh subdivision. See also Melrose Av. and Pelham Av.
Goebel Road – Earl Av. W and SW to Howard Dr.; Mix District; on 1958 plat
Henry Goebel died in World War II.
Goodrich Street – Prospect St. W to Dixwell Av.; Whitneyville, Highwood; on 1865 plat
Elizur Goodrich was the at-large congressman from Connecticut (1799-1801). He died in New Haven.
Goodsell Road – Ridge Rd. in North Haven W, NW across Hamden line, W to Ives St.; North Haven, Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
Jesse B. Goodsell was listed in the 1880 agricultural census. House of J.B. Goodsell was shown on the street on the North Haven 1868 Beers map.
Goodyear Street – Bassett St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Goodrich St.; New Haven, Highwood; on 1868 map
Chauncey Goodyear, a farmer in the area [Townshend] (1764-1845) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. His father Stephen Goodyear (1729-1809) was an early settler of Hamden and granduncle of Charles Goodyear (1800-1860) known for work in rubber industry [E.G. Hill].
Gordon Street – Waite St. N, NE, N to Hawthorne Av.; Spring Glen; on 1896 plat
Gordon Williams (1863-1939) is buried in Central Burying Ground. He was listed in the 1920 and 1930 censuses as living on Evergreen Av. and managing a hardware company.
Gorham Avenue – Circular Av. W to Pine Rock Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1872 plat
John Gorham died in the Revolutionary War.
Gorham Drive – Benham St. S, W, N to Benham St.; Dunbar Hill; first house 1950
Frank I. Gorham (1847-1900) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Grafton Road – Quaker Rd. E to Franklin Rd.; East Side; on 1946 plat
Origin of the name of this street in the Ridge Road Farms subdivision is unknown.
Grandview Avenue – Church St. N, NW, N, W to Battis Rd.; Hamden Plains; on 1912 plat
It is in the Grand View Heights subdivision, suggesting that since it is on a ridgeline, there would be fine views.
Green Hill Road –West Side Dr. W to Pleasant Dr.; Pine Rock; on 1946 plat
Perhaps a reference to green hills around Pine Rock.
Greenes Ridge Road – Rocky Top Rd. N and NW to end; West Woods; on 1981 plat
Robert Greene owned land in the area and had a construction company. The street is on a small ridge.
Greenway Street – Thornton St. S to Central Av.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Brigadier General John Campbell Greenway graduated from Yale's Sheffield Scientific School in 1896. He played on the Yale football team which won national championships all four years. He fought in the Spanish-American War and World War I. His civilian career was mining engineering in Minnesota and Arizona.
There is an area of evergreen trees between it and Lake Whitney, but the use of the term “greenway” for a corridor of undeveloped land was not recorded until 1965, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. Coincidentally, the street was an interim route for the East Coast Greenway before the section of the canal trail on the other side of the lake was developed in 2005.
The block between Central and Hawthorne avenues was first shown as Greenwood St. on an 1896 plat and the portion from Hawthorne to Ingram as Lakeview Avenue on a 1928 plat.
Guenevere Court – Joyce Rd. II W, NW, W to end; West Woods; on 1996 plat
Gueneverewas the wife of King Arthur in legend. See Lancelot Way, which is nearby.