Haig Street – Dixwell Av. E to Marne St.; Hamden Plains; in 1923 directory
British Field Marshal Douglas Haig commanded in World War I along with Ferdinand Foch and John J. Pershing (see Foch St., Pershing St.)
Hall Street – Blake Rd. N to Heloise St.; Whitneyville; on 1921 plat
Henry Hall was an early civic association head and politician. The street borders the campus of Hamden Hall School [Fitzgerald].
Hamden Hills Drive – Evergreen Av. NW, W, SW to end, continuing as Sherman Ln.; Centerville; on 1991 plat
It is on hilly terrain near the center of Hamden. The town was named for the English politician John Hampden (1595-1643) who challenged the authority of King Charles I. Charles was eventually executed, one of the judges condemning him being John Dixwell (Dixwell Av.) Originally named East-West Connector.
Hamden Park Drive – Morse St. N, E, N, W to Dixwell Av.; Highwood; on 1985 plat
It is located in the Hamden Industrial Park.
Hampshire Drive – Renshaw Rd. N to Sherman Av.; Mount Carmel; first house 1949
Hampton Road – Austen Rd. N, NW, N to end; Centerville; on 1948 plat
Perhaps named for George F. Hampton (1891-1933), buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Handy Road – Gaylord Mountain Rd. N to end; West Woods; first house 1957
Henry Handy (1801-1888) lived in the area [1868 map] and is buried in Doolittle Cemetery.
Harding Street – Washington Av. E to Maher Av.; Centerville; on 1923 plat
President Warren G. Harding died in office in 1923, the year the street was laid out. It is near Washington and Lincoln streets, also named for presidents.
Harmon Street – Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1910 plat
Harmon Humiston was a son of Justus Humiston (see Elihu St.)
Harris Street – Newhall St. W to end; Whitneyville; on 1885 plat
William H. Harris (1845-1916) is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven.
Harrison Drive – Cherry Hill Rd. E and S to Vantage Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1924 plat
Originally part of Arcadia Av., when Wilbur Cross Pkwy. severed that street, it took on this name to honor Theron Harrison, who died in World War II.
Hartford Turnpike – End S of Rogers Rd. N across North Haven line to Wallingford line, continuing as South Turnpike Rd.; East Side, Whitneyville, Spring Glen, North Haven; built 1799
Hartford and New Haven Turnpike was chartered in 1798 to connect those cities. It was financed by the collection of tolls. A pike across the road was turned when the toll was paid. It followed an unusually straight course from the New Haven Green to Main St. in Hartford. Roads today still mostly follow the same course all the way. It originally connected to Whitney Av. near Armory St. When Lake Whitney was dammed in 1861, it had to be terminated where Rogers Rd. is now.
Hartford was named for Hertford (pronounced like “hartford”), England, which derived its name from a place where harts, mature male deer, forded a river.
Haverford Lane – Carmalt Rd. N to Haverford St.; Spring Glen; on 1954 plat
Haverford Street – Whitney Av. opposite Elihu St. E, S, NE, E to Ridge Rd. opposite High Meadow Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
Haverford is a town in Pennsylvania and home of Haverford College. It has a station on a Philadelphia commuter rail line with Ardmore the next stop on the line (see Ardmore St.) Only the portion east of Lansdowne Av. was laid out in 1920 by Harry T. Bodwell, along with that street and nearby Swarthmore and Spring Garden streets. All those streets also have names of places in the Philadelphia area.
The street was extended to Whitney Av. in 1954. Since the houses had been numbered starting at Lansdowne Av., all those numbers had to be increased by 100 to provide numbers for the new section.
Hawley Road – High Meadow Rd. N and E to Jesswig Dr.; Spring Glen; on 1941 plat
When this street was laid out in the High Meadows subdivision, George S. Hawley owned the house at 905 Ridge Rd. which backs up to it.
Hawthorne Avenue – Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1896 plat
Samuel Hawthorne (1863-1923) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery. It may have been named for hawthorn shrubs growing in the area, in keeping with the naming of streets for trees in many cities.
Hayward Road – Piper Rd. N and W to Piper Rd.; Hamden Plains; on 1940 plat
Alfred E. Hayward (1870-1968) was a farmer on nearby Lane St.
Haywood Lane – Lakeview Av. W to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1924 plat
William Haywood (1865-1913) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Hearn Lane – Sandquist Cir. N, W, NW to Sandquist Cir.; Dunbar Hill; on 1956 plat
Francis Hearn died in World War II.
Heather Road – End E of Dest Rd. W to Knob Hill Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1972 plat
Heather is a flowering plant, perhaps associated with nearby Ann's Farm (Ann's Farm Rd.) See also Flower Dr.
Heathridge Road – Norman Rd. E to Hill St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1957 plat
Heath shrubbery may have been on its small ridge. It was originally called Chauncey Rd. and planned to connect to what is now Old Chauncey Rd. It is numbered as if it did, with the lowest house number, at the corner of Norman Rd., being 75. The street name is just “Heathridge” on some maps.
Helen Street – Dixwell Av. W to Pine Rock Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1911 plat
The original plat spelled the street Hellen and and was labeled “Lots of Hellen Warner”. A three-year old girl whose name was spelled that way was listed as living in New Haven in the 1880 census. A grave with the name Helen Warner (d. 1926) is in Hamden Plains Cemetery. See also Langer St.
Heloise Street – Carleton St. W past Morris St. to end; Whitneyville; on 1921 plat
Heloise Shoninger was the first woman cellist in the New Haven Symphony Orchestra and daughter of Morris & Caroline Steinert [Fitzgerald] (see Morris St.)
Hepburn Road – London Dr. N to Foote St; East Side; on 1929 plat
Donald Hepburne Burton (1895-1907, died age 12), buried in Whitneyville Cemetery, was the younger brother of John E. Burton, one of the original landowners. It was first shown as Hepburn St. extending only from Myra Rd. to Fernwood Rd. When it was extended south to London Dr. in 1946, the house numbers on the east side had to be squeezed in, with numbers 5, 3, 1, and 0 (an even number on the odd side) on lots much wider than the 20 feet they would be by standard numbering. The final extension north to Foote St. in 1951 was part of the Hepburn Ridge subdivision, which took its name from the already-existing street.
Hesse Road – Smith Dr. N and E to Cardo Rd.; East Side; on 1956 plat
Theodore Hesse died in World War I.