Fallon Drive – White Dr. W, N, NE to Pembroke Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1954 plat
William Fallon died in World War II.
Fans Rock Road – Shepard Av. NW to West Woods Rd.; West Woods; on 1955 plat
It is near a hill with that name, named for Fanny Shepard (1825-1886), buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery. It may also be a variant of nearby Fern Rock which appears on old maps.
Farnam Drive – Orange St. in East Rock Park in New Haven NW, N across Hamden line, NW, NE to Davis St.; New Haven, East Side; on 1882 map
Henry Farnam (1803-1883), supervised construction of the Farmington Canal and was instrumental in having it replaced by the railroad. The park road was depicted on boxes of Farnam Drive cigars.
Farm Brook Court – Denslow Hill Rd. Ext. E and S to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1987 plat
Farm Brook, which passed by several farms, is not far away on other side of Paradise Av.
Farm Road – State St. W across Park Rd. to end in East Rock Park maintenance facility; East Side; on 1909 map
In the 1640s, the first settlers in what is now Hamden had their farms in the area.
Farmington Drive – Brooksvale Av. W to end; West Woods; on 1964 plat
It is near the former Farmington Canal, which passed through Farmington, Connecticut, named for being a farming town. The canal was replaced by a railroad and is now a paved multi-use trail, part of the East Coast Greenway.
Farnsworth Street – Blake Rd. N to Augur St.; Whitneyville; on 1900 plat
Benjamin Farnsworth (1799-1845) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery (see Barraclough Av.) Horace F. Farnsworth (1835-1920) served in the Civil War and is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Farrell Street – Whitney Av. W past Linden Av. to end, continuing as paper street to paper Edgewood Av.; Centerville; on 1896 plat
Paul Farrell died in World War I. Originally named Willow St.
Fawn Ridge Drive – Woodin St. S to end; Pine Rock; on1963 plat
Fawns may have frequented the nearby ridge of Pine Rock.
Federal Street – Paper street from Circular Av. E to Cherry Hill Rd., continuing E as a real street to Harrison Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1924 plat
Named for the federal government. The paper section was not built because it would ascend a steep hill.
Fennbrook Drive – Ridge Rd. NE, E, SE to Hartford Tpk.; Spring Glen; on 1928 plat
John T. Fenn (1815-1884) is buried in Central Burying Ground. The 1868 map shows a brook nearby.
Fenway Drive – Franklin Rd. W and N to Windsor Rd.; East Side; on 1950 plat
A fen is a wetland similar to the one nearby along the Quinnipiac River.
Ferguson Road – Robertson Dr. E to Costanzo Ct.; Mount Carmel; on 1984 plat
Donald Ferguson died in the Vietnam War. [Johnson]
Fern Street – Lake St. NW to Manor St.; Whitneyville; on 1920 plat
Ferns are plants commonly seen in woods. The street intersects Wood St. in the Lakeview Manor subdivsion. Originally named Forest St.
Fernwood Road – Ridge Rd. E to State St.; East Side; on 1934 plat
Ferns are plants commonly seen in woods.
Field Crest Lane – Lane Sr. E to Katherine Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1962 plat
It is on the crest of a small hill between Farm and Wilmot brooks with a view of nearby fields.
Field View Lane – Wintergreen Av. S to end; Dunbar Hill; on 2008 plat
It has a view of farm fields.
Filbert Street – Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Filbert bushes, the source of hazelnuts, may have grown in the area.
First Street – Dixwell Av. W to Fairview Av.; Highwood; on 1900 plat
It is the first of four numbered streets in the Lenox Place subdivision. See Fourth St.
Fitch Street – Whalley Av. in New Haven NE across Hamden line to Arch St. opposite Fairview Av.; State Route 10; New Haven, Highwood, Pine Rock; on 1852 map
William Fitch was a manufacturer of carriage equipment in the Westville section of New Haven where the street begins. [Townshend]
Flower Drive – Evergreen Av. W to Knob Hill Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1972 plat
It is in the Flower Estates subdivision, perhaps named for flowers growing on a nearby farm (see Ann's Farm Rd.)
Foch Street – Dixwell Av. E to Marne St.; Hamden Plains; in 1923 directory
French Marshal Ferdinand Foch fought at both Battles of the Marne in World War I. See Marne St.
Foote Street – State St. W to Ridge Rd.; East Side, Spring Glen; on 1852 map
Chauncey Foote was an early postmaster.
Ford Street – Whitney Av. S to Walden St.; Spring Glen; on 1868 map
Moses Ford built a house in the late 1700s at its intersection with Waite St. At that time, Ford St. was part of the route of the Cheshire Turnpike, now Whitney Av. The turnpike had to be rerouted to the west when the height of the Lake Whitney dam was increased. See Lake Rd.
Forest Court North – Forest St. W and S to Forest Ct. S.; Mount Carmel; on 1963 plat
Forest Court South – Forest St. S and W to Forest Ct. N.; Mount Carmel; on 1963 plat
Forest Street – Whitney Av. W and N to Knob Hill Dr; Centerville, Mount Carmel; on 1898 plat
Forests were in the area before the streets were built.
Four Rod Road – Shepard Av. W to Paradise Av. opposite Hill St.; Mix District; on 1852 map
Although the paved width of this street is not four rods (66 ft.) at any point, it may have been the original width of its right-of-way. Many early roads were that width. For example, Hartley describes the “road from the ferry to East Rock”, now State Street, as being four rods wide. A field four rods wide and one furlong (furrow length, one-eighth of a mile) long is one acre. See Six Rod Hwy.
Fourth Street – Woodin St. W to Beaver St.; Highwood; on 1900 plat
It is the fourth and last of the numbered streets in the Lenox Place subdivision. Perhaps the existence of the already-named Woodin St. precluded extending the numbering system to the north.
Francis Avenue – Augur St. N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1909 plat
George B. Francis (1839-1914) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Franklin Road – Ridge Rd. N to Windsor Rd.; East Side; on 1946 plat
Perhaps named for the statesman and inventor Benjamin Franklin. The street intersects Quaker Rd. Franklin lived in Philadelphia where there were many Quakers.
Frazier Road – Still Hill Rd. S to end; West Woods; on 1966 plat
Edward Frazier died in World War II.
Frederick Street - Augur St. S to end; Whitneyville; on 1921 plat
Frederick was the son of Morris Steinert, see Morris St.
Funaro Road – Magee Rd. W to Kirk Rd.; Mix District; on 1957 plat
Robert Funaro died in World War II.
Furman Lane – Furman Rd. N to Michael Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1952 plat
Furman Road – Thomas St. W, N, E to Thomas St.; Pine Rock; on 1952 plat
James Furman died in World War II.