Calamus Meadow Road – Dunbar Hill Rd. W, NW to Main St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
The flowering plant calamus may have grown in the surrounding meadow.
Cannon Street – Whitney Av. W to Evergreen Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1922 plat
Thomas Cannon was an early trustee of nearby Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church [Hartley p. 273]. See also Old Cannon St.
Canterbury Road – Denslow Hill Rd. E, NE, N, with several loops and a cul-de-sac all with the same name, to end of Farm Brook Ct.; Private; Dunbar Hill; on 1991 plat
In the Canterbury Farms condominium complex perhaps named for Canterbury, England, site of Canterbury Cathedral, whose Archbishop is head of the Church of England.
Carbonella Drive – Wintergreen Av. NE to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1957 plat
James S. Carbonella died in World War II.
Cardo Road – Sebec St. N and E to Daniel Rd.; East Side; on 1956 plat
Antonio Cardo died from the Spanish influenza pandemic while serving in the Army Quartermaster Corps in World War I.
Carew Road – Ridge Rd. E to end on grounds of Ridge Hill School; East Side; on 1934 plat
Origin unknown. Part of the Countryside development made by Rubino Construction Co.
Carleton Street – End on grounds of Hamden Hall Country Day School N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1917 plat
Origin unknown. It was laid out on property of Hayden A. Whiting.
Carmalt Road – Ridge Rd. W to end, with a separate section just before the end S to Gillies Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1940 plat.
Laurence J. Carmalt (1866-1940), a civil engineer, was second vice president of the Sleeping Giant Park Association in 1940 and chairman of the town zoning commission. Although laid out as part of the Gilridge subdivision in 1940, it was not actually constructed until 1947 due to World War II. The separate section is labeled Gilridge St. on the tax assessor map, but not signed as such. The only two houses on the section are numbered as if they fronted the main part of the street.
Carmel Street – Whitney Av. E to Riverside Dr.; Centerville; on 1912 plat
Probably named after Mount Carmel, see Mount Carmel Av.
Caroline Street – Hall St. W to Wilkins St.; Whitneyville; on 1921 plat
Caroline Steinert was the wife of Morris Steinert, see Morris St. [Fitzgerald]
Carrington Street – Savoy St. W to Merrimac St.; Hamden Plains; on 1900 plat
Henry B. Carrington, a brigadier general in the Civil War, attended Yale College and Yale Law School. See Merrimac St.
Carroll Road – Leo Rd. W and N to Smith Dr.; East Side; on 1956 plat
William J. Carroll died in World War II.
Cassella Drive – Main St. E and N to Mansur Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1958 plat
Michael Cassella was its developer.
Centerbrook Road – Worth Av. E and S to end; Centerville; on 1963 plat
There is a brook running through the center of the development.
Central Avenue - Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1896 plat
It is the central of the three “avenues”, between Park and Hawthorne, in Whitney Park, the oldest subdivision of Spring Glen.
Chandler Place – Edgemere Rd. N to Gillies Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1946 plat
Edward Chandler (1900-1983) was a mechanical engineer living in New Haven. The name Chandler originally meant a candle maker, later, one who supplied provisions for ships.
Charlson Lane – Jesswig Dr. N to Jackson Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1950 plat
Perhaps named for a relative of its developer, Albert Swanson.
Charlton Hill Road – Whitney Av. W, NW, W, S, SW, W to end; Private; Mount Carmel; on 1968 plat
In the 1950s, Marie L. Charlton lived at 2862 Whitney Av.which is now at the corner of this road going up a hill to access a condominium complex with that name.
Chatterton Way -West Todd St. N to end; West Woods; on 1965 plat
Chatterton Woods – Chatterton Way NW to end; West Woods; on 1987 plat
Waite Chatterton died in the Revolutionary War.
Chauncey Road - Dunbar Hill Rd. to junction of Main St. and Mountain Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
Chauncey Dickerman died in the Revolutionary War.
Cherry Ann Street – Dixwell Av. W diagonally across New Haven city line then S to end; Highwood, New Haven; on 1870 map
Perhaps there was a cherry orchard and a woman named Ann there [Townshend].
Cherry Hill Road – Circular Av. N to Benham St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1868 map
It approaches a hill north of Benham St. labeled Cherry Hill on topographic maps as early as 1892, perhaps named for cherry trees on it.
Chester Street - Church St. NW to Battis Rd; Hamden Plains; on 1928 plat
Manley E. Chester (1876-1937), a manager in a wire mill, lived nearby on Benham St. in 1920.
Chestnut Lane – Mt. Carmel Av. N to end, continuing as Blue Trail Ln.; Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
It passes through a grove of chestnuttrees, grown by the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station to develop disease-resistant varieties.
Choate Avenue - West Woods Rd. NW, SW, W to West Woods Rd.; West Woods; on 1967 plat
Choate (now Choate Rosemary Hall) is a preparatory school in Wallingford. See Andover Rd. Its house numbering corresponds with that on West Woods Rd. Its lowest numbered house, 731, is next to 719 West Woods Rd.
Church Street – Dixwell Av. W to Circular Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1852 map
Hamden Plains United Methodist Church is at its corner with Dixwell. The present church replaced the original 1833 one which burned down in 1918. At its other end, at Circular Av., Blessed Sacrament Church was built in 1939.
Churchill Road – Brookside Dr. E to Broadfield Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
Willis Churchill (1810-1880) is buried in Central Burying Ground along with many others with the surname. He lived and operated an auger factory on the west side of Whitney near Skiff St. when the area was part of North Haven, hence the name Augerville for the neighborhood. In 1846 he successfully petitioned the General Assembly to have the area west of Whitney transferred from North Haven to Hamden.
Circular Avenue – Dixwell Av. NW to Benham St.; Hamden Plains, Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
This seems to be a strange name for an essentially straight street. A secondary meaning of “circular” is circuitous or indirect. It may have been named because it allowed farmers on Dunbar Hill to bring their goods to market in New Haven without taking a “circular” route on Benham to Dixwell.
Claire Terrace – Battis Rd. E to Blue Hills Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1951 plat
Claire Dunbrack lived nearby at 1720 Dixwell Av. in 1920.
Clark Street – Cumpstone Dr. SW and W to Knob Hill Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1953 plat
It may be named for either, or both, of the men with that surname who died in World War II: Frederick Clark [Robert Pleines on social media] or Russell Clark [Johnson].
Cliff Street – Whitney Av. in New Haven W to Reservoir St. in New Haven; New Haven; on 1868 map
It faces the cliffs of East Rock [Townshend]. The street itself is entirely in New Haven but one house on it is entirely and another partly in Hamden.
Clifford Street – Putnam Av. N and NE to Mather St.; Whitneyville; on 1903 plat
James Clifford (1885-1961) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Clover Circle – Lane St. opposite East Clover Cir. W and NW to Pembroke Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1946 plat
Clover is a common ground plant. The street intersects Larkspur Ln., named for a flowering plant. Despite the “circle” generic name, it and East Clover Cir. are essentially straight.