Dadio Road – Daniel Rd. W and S to Cardo Rd., with a small circle at the bend; East Side; onn 1963 plat
Gabriele Dadio was its developer.
Dante Place – Beacon St. N to Church St.; Hamden Plains; on 1922 plat
Possibly named for a relative of the developer of the Florence Terrace subdivision, Alexander Capassso.
Darley Drive – End of Bruschayt Dr. SE, SW, NW, NE to end of Bruschayt Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1957 plat
It is in the Knollwood Acres subdivision of Linus Darley.
Davis Street – Davis St. E, SE, E, SE to Franklin Rd.; Whitneyville, East Side; on 1852 map, named on 1919 plat
Edward Davis operated the Whitney Av. horsecar from 1877 to 1887 [Hartley p. 331]. John H. Davis was first selectman (1896-1898) [Hartley p.478].
Dawes Avenue – Mather St. SW to Treadwell St.; Whitneyville; on 1929 plat
Possibly the name of someone in the Whitneyville Realty Co. which developed it.
Day Spring Avenue – Whitney Av. E to Washington Av.; Centerville; on 1922 plat
The Masons built their Day Spring lodge at its corner of Whitney, named, according to the dedication program, because "the dawn, the day spring from on high gives us vision of the thought that was in the mind of that company of men who constituted the Lodge", including many early settlers of Hamden. It was originally named Gale Place on a 1917 plat.
Deepwood Drive – Whitney Av. SW, NW, S, W to end; Whitneyville; on 1927 map
It goes up deeply wooded Mill Rock. Originally named Mill Rock Terrace.
Deer Hill Road – Gaylord Mountain Rd. S and SW to end; West Woods; on 1985 plat
Deer are in this hilly area on the side of Gaylord Mountain.
Deer Pond Trail - Gaylord Mountain Rd. S and SW to end; West Woods; on 1989 plat
A swampy area nearby may have originally been a pond frequented by deer.It was in the Hunters Glen subdivision along with Pheasant Ln.
Deerfield Drive – Choate Av. N, NW, W to Russo Drive; West Woods; on 1965 plat
Delsole Road – Norwood Av. N to Pinewood Rd; Mount Carmel; on 1974 plat
It was built on land of Joseph H. Delsole.
Dennis Circle – Brook St. SE and S to end; Pine Rock; on 1959 plat
Possibly named for a relative of its developer, Albert Swanson.
Denslow Hill Road – Benham St. opposite Circular Av. N, NW, N to Brook Hill Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1868 map
Denslow Hill Road Extension – End S of Farm Brook Ct. NE and N to Howard Dr. opposite Adla Dr.; Mix District; on 1987 plat
Wiliam Denslow Jr., (1770-1802) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery. The street ascends a gentle hill. The extension continues the house numbering of the main part. A mound of earth prevents through traffic between the two parts.
Depot Avenue – Sherman Av. N to end; Mount Carmel; in 1951 directory
This was originally a road just west of the tracks at the Mount Carmel freight and passenger depots. The name has recently been applied to the driveway just east of the depots.
Dessa Drive – Edgemere Rd, S and E to Ridge Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1946 plat
It was in the Parkside development of Charles Abbadessa, owner of C&J Construction. Bill Morico reports that as a boy living in an apartment owned by Abbadessa, he had difficulty pronouncing the name, so he called him “Mr. Dessa.”
Dest Road – Cumpstone Dr. SW and S to Flower Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1952 plat
John P. Dest died in World War II.
Dewey Street – Dixwell Av. E to Victor St.; Hamden Plains; on 1898 plat
Admiral George Dewey led American naval forces to a decisive victory at Manila Bay in the Spanish-American War. Manila Av. is about a mile away.
Dickerman Street – Whitney Av. W, S, SW, W to Evergreen Av; Mount Carmel; on 1920 plat
Notable among the many members of the Dickerman family who lived in Hamden were Chauncey Dickerman who died in the Revolutionary War [Abner Oakes] and Leverett A. Dickerman who served in the General Assembly [Fitzgerald].
Dix Street – Arch St. N to North St.; Highwood; on 1872 plat
Perhaps named for the politician and Civil War general John Adams Dix (1798-1879) or the social advocate Dorothea Dix (1802-1887).
Dixwell Avenue – Tower Pkwy. opposite Broadway in New Haven NW, N across Hamden line, NE, E across North Haven line, SE to State St. opposite Stiles Ln. in North Haven; State Route 10 from Arch St. to Whitney Av.; Secondary State Route 717 from Whitney Av. to State St.; Secondary State Route 723 on southbound lanes from Shepard Av. to Skiff St.; New Haven, Highwood, Hamden Plains, Mix District, Centerville, North Haven; on 1811 map
John Dixwell was one of the 59 commissioners, commonly called judges, who signed the death warrant of English King Charles I. He fled with his fellow judges Edward Whalley and William Goffe, for whom streets in New Haven are also named, to Hadley, Mass., but did not hide with them in Judges Cave atop West Rock [Townshend].
Dogwood Hill Road – Evergreen Av. NW and S to end; Private; Centerville; on 1973 plat
It serves an apartment complex perhaps named for dogwood trees nearby.
Doolittle Lane – Tuttle Av. SE to end; Private; Mount Carmel; on 1968 plat
The Doolittle family were early Mt. Carmel settlers. Forty-nine Doolittles are buried in Hamden, most in Doolittle (West Woods) and Mt. Carmel cemeteries.
Doren Avenue – Ford St. E and N to Waite St.; Spring Glen; on 1927 plat
Alice Shepard Van Doren (1857-1938) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. Her house still stands near the corner on Waite St. The Van Doren family started living in the area in the mid 1700s [Bruce Shumway and Meri Harary on social media].
Dorrance Place – Dorrance St. N to end; Centerville; on 1947 plat\
Dorrance Street – Dixwell Av. NW, N, E to Westminster St. opposite Colony St.; Centerville; on 1921 plat
Dorrance, Westminster, and Weybosset are three streets surrounding one block in downtown Providence, RI. On a 1921 plat of the Beecher Heights subdivision, which also includes a Westminster St., the northernmost portions of Dorrance and Colony streets were named Weybosset. They were renamed to avoid confusion with the street of the same name in Hamden Plains.
Douglas Drive – Still Hill Rd. W to end; West Woods; on 1989 plat
It was the sole street in the Douglas Acres subdivision, possibly named for a relative of the developer.
Downes Road – Litchfield Tpk. (State Route 69) in Woodbridge N across Bethany line to end of paved section past Hoadley Rd., continuing as an unpaved road closed to vehicles NW and N across Hamden line, resuming as a paved road S of Nature Trl., N across Gaylord Mountain Rd. to end; Woodbridge, Bethany, West Woods; on 1852 map
Laban Downs (1793-1866) is buried in Mt. Carmel Cemetery. The house of L. Downs is shown on the Bethany portion of the road on the 1852 map. The abandoned portion of the road crossing the town line from Bethany to Hamden, surrounded by Regional Water Authority watershed land, has been said to be haunted. Continuous house numbering remains along the abandoned section. The lowest numbered house on it in Hamden is 2250. The road name is spelled Downs on most online maps, Downes on the tax assessor map and most printed maps.
Duane Road -Bradley Av. N and NW to Wilbert St.; Hamden Plains; in 1929 directory
Lt. Duane Warner (1899-1925) lived in Highwood, served in World War I, and is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery. Named Warren St. on a 1922 plat, it was first listed as Duane Rd. in the 1929 city directory.
Dudley Court – Alling St. N to Dudley St; Highwood; on 1936 map
Dudley Street - Saint Mary St. W to Dixwell Av.; Highwood; on 1868 map
Origin uncertain. George W. Dudley (1828-1892) is buried in Mt. Carmel Cemetery.
Duel Drive – Joyce Rd. W to end; West Woods; first house 1982
Edward F. Duel died in the Vietnam War.
Dunbar Hill Road – Wintergreen Av. opposite Stanley Rd. N to end, continuing as paper street, resuming as actual street at Dunbar Ln. N, NW, N, W, N, E to Hill St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
Dunbar Lane – Dunbar Hill Rd. SW, S, SE, S to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1989 plat