Cobblestone Drive – Joyce Rd. SE, NE, SE to end; West Woods; on 1990 plat
Cobblestones were an early form of street paving, still seen in some historic areas and used for decorative purposes today.
Cole Road – Knob Hill Dr. NE to end; Mount Carmel; on 1953 plat
William F. Cole died in World War II.
Collier Circle – West Woods Rd. SW to end; West Woods; on 1956 plat
William J. Collier died in World War II. The street ends in an unusually large circular cul-de-sac around an island.
Collins Street – Dixwell Av. W to Circular Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1905 plat
Maurice Collins died in World War I. It was labeled Central Av. on the 1905 plat, renamed to avoid confusion with the street of same name in Spring Glen.
Colonial Drive – Whitney Av. W to Evergreen Av; Centerville; on 1947 plat
Colony Street – Dixwell Av. N and NW to Westminster St. opposite Dorrance St.; Centerville; on 1921 plat
New Haven Colony, including the present Hamden, was established in 1637 and merged into Connecticut Colony in 1664.
Columbus Street – Morse St. N to Hamden Park Dr.; Highwood; in 1942 directory
The explorer Christopher Columbus was born in Italy and many Italian immigrants lived in Highwood when the street was established.
Concord Street – Dixwell Av. W to Dante Pl.; Hamden Plains; on 1909 plat
Conifer Drive – Brooksvale Av. S to end; Mount Carmel; on 1988 plat
Conifers are cone-bearing, mostly evergreen trees, which are prevalent through much of Hamden. The street comprises all of the Conifer Pines subdivision.
Connolly Parkway – Dixwell Av. E and SE to Thornton St. opposite Elgin St.; Hamden Plains, Spring Glen; on 1940 plat
Albert Connolly was third selectman 1947-1952.
Cook Street – State St. E to Welton St.; East Side; on 1927 map
Willis Cook was a judge, superintendent of the Ives axle works and Mt. Carmel postmaster [Hartley p. 392]. Since it appeared with that name in 1927, it could not have been originally named for Bernard Cook, who died in the Korean War. It was called Brook St. on a 1911 map of New Haven.
Cooper Hill Court – Cooper Rd. S to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1974 plat
Cooper Lane – Paradise Av. NW and W to Dunbar Hill Rd.; on 1852 map
Joel Cooper died in the Revolutionary War.
Coram Street - Waite St. N to Russell St.; Spring Glen; on 1919 plat
Coram is a hamlet in the town of Brookhaven (see Brookhaven Rd.) on Long Island, New York, almost due south of Hamden. Originally named Lake St., it was renamed in 1927 to avoid confusion with the Lake St. in Whitneyville.
Corbin Road – Foote St. S,W,N to Foote St.; East Side; on 1951 plat
Origin unknown. Corbin is a fairly common surname. Perhaps some relation to Philip Corbin (1824-1910), an industrialist who had a homestead, Corbin's Corners, in West Hartford. A shopping center with that name is there now.
Corene Drive - Cooper Ln. N to end; Dunbar Hill; in 1987 directory
Corene was the daughter of Leonard Sargolini who lived in the house at its end. The only two houses on it are numbered 1964 and 1966, which are much higher than they would be by standard numbering. Its route appeared on the 1852 map.
Corporate Ridge – Sherman Av. W to end; Mix District; on 1988 plat
It leads to a corporate business park on a small ridge.
Costanzo Court – Robertson Dr. E and S to end past Read Rd; Mount Carmel; on 1984 plat
Ralph Paul Costanzo died in the Vietnam War. [Johnson]
Country Club Drive – Bear Path Rd. opposite Hume Dr. N to end; Mix District; on 1987 plat
It is near Laurel View Country Club, the Hamden municipal golf course.
Country Hills Road – Wintergreen Av. S, SW, N to end with a separate cul-de-sac to SW at the bend N; Dunbar Hill; on 1966 plat
Named to suggest its location in hills in the countryside.
Craft Street – State St. W to Maple St; East Side; on 1927 map
Samuel P. Crafts was head of the Quinnipiac Brick Company which operated in the area. [Rockey, p. 310] It was called Crafts St. in some old city directories. Russell L. Craft (1899-1928) is buried in Central Burying Ground. The street also has a paper street section, originally named Old Colony Rd., extending a short distance E on the opposite side of State St.
Crest Way – Sherman Av. NW and NE to end; Mix District; on 1989 plat
It leads to the crest of a small hill.
Cromwell Street – Melrose Av. W to Evergreen Av. opposite Tanglewood Dr. S.; Mount Carmel; on 1922 plat
Oliver Cromwell was Lord Protector, head of British state and government, during its brief existence as a republic. Like John Dixwell (Dixwell Av.) he signed the death warrant of Charles I.
Cross Street – Collins St. N to Lexington St.; Hamden Plains; on 1922 plat
It is a short street that crosses between Collins and Lexington.
Cumley Street – Dixwell Av. W to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1919 plat
Origin unknown. It is in the Benham Heights subdivision made by Bodwell Realty.
Cumpstone Drive – Evegreen Av. W, NW, N to Knob Hill Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1952 plat
Robert L. Cumpstone died in World War II.
Curry Road – Fernwood Rd. S, E, N to Fernwood Rd.; East Side; on 1955 plat
Leroy Curry Jr. died in World War II.