Earl Avenue – Four Rod Rd. opposite Earl Av. Ext. S, SE, S to Howard Dr.; Mix District; on 1958 plat
Earl Avenue Extension – Hume Dr. SW and S to Four Rod Rd. opposite Earl Av.; Mix District; on 1965 plat
George Earl died in World War II. Numbering actually begins on Earl Av Ext. with numbers from 1 to 9, continuing on Earl Av. at number 15.
East Clover Circle – Lane St. E toKatherine Dr., continuing SE as paper street to Ursini Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1962 plat
It is an eastern extension of Clover Cir. It was shown as just part of Clover Cir. on a 1961 plat but had to be given a different name to provide enough house numbers.
East Gate Lane – Mix Av. W to end; Private; Dunbar Hill; on 1973 plat It serves the East Gate condominium complex.
Eastland Road – Fennbrook Dr. N to Old Farm Rd. at North Haven line; Spring Glen; on 1928 plat
It is paired with Westland Road in the Ridge Top Farms subdivision.
Easton Street – Dixwell Av. W to Bowen St.; Highwood; on 1868 map
Eliphalet Easton (1808-1857) is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in New Haven.
Eaton Woods Road – Shepard Av. E, S, SW, SE, S, SW to end; Private; West Woods; on 1986 plat
It serves a condominium complex in the woods perhaps named for Theophilus Eaton, first governor of New Haven Colony from 1639 until his death in 1657/8.
Eckels Road – New Rd. N and NW to end; Private; Mount Carmel; on 1989 plat
It provides access to a Quinnipiac University parking lot on land formerly of Arthur R. Eckels.
Edgecomb Street – Foote St. N to Sebec St.; East Side; on 1919 plat
Edgecombis a town inMaine. It was in the State Street Terrace subdivision, all of whose streets, except the already-existing Foote St., have the names of Maine towns: Wayne, Hudson (renamed Stevens), Lovell, Leeds (paper street), and Sebec. The owner of the land, Everett C. Wells (1881-1953), was born in Maine.
Edgehill Road – Highland St. opposite Saint Ronan St. in New Haven N across Hamden line to Armory St.; New Haven, Whitneyville; in 1913 directory
Edgehill Terrace – Edgehill Rd, W to Prospect St.; Whitneyville; in 1917 directory
They are on the edge of the hill up to Prospect St. Edgehill Ter. was named Fay St. in the 1913 directory.
Edgemere Road – Gillies Rd. S, E, NE, E, S to Dessa Dr.; Spring Glen; on 1946 plat
It is on the edge of a mere, a boundary often marked with stones, and remnants of a stone wall are near its east end. Edgemere Rd. in New Haven is named for a similar reason [Townshend].
Edmund Street – State St. E to end; East Side; in 1923 directory
Origin unknown.Several men with the first name Edmund lived in Hamden when the street was developed.
Edwards Street – Goodrich St. N to Morse St.; Highwood; on 1865 plat
Francis Edwards (1816-1880) was a blacksmith living in Hamden [Della Vecchia]. Edwin P. Edwards(1844-1920) and his two wives are buried in Central Burying Ground. EdwardStreeto died in World War I.
Eleanor Street – Cherry Hill Rd. E and NE to Highwood Av. opposite Harrison Drive; Dunbar Hill; on 1924 plat
Possibly named for a relative of the developer of the Maple Lawn subdivision, M. R. Bennett. An Eleanor Bennett was married in New Haven in 1930. Originally extending to Arcadia Av., the street was truncated when Wilbur Cross Pkwy. was built.
Elgin Street – Greenway St. W to Thornton St.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Elginis a town in northern Scotland whose Celtic name may mean “beautiful place” or “little Ireland”, perhaps intended to be associated with the street.Spring Glen has had a high concentration of people of Irish ancestry.
Eli Road – Davis St. N to Whitney Av.; Whitneyville; on 1868 map
Named for Eli Whitney, see Whitney Av. The Whitneyville school was originally in the triangle between this street, Davis, and Whitney Ave. which is now Eli Whitney Park.
Elihu Street – Whitney Av. opposite Haverford St. W to Humiston Av.; Spring Glen; on 1910 plat
Elihu Humiston was a son of Justus Humiston whose house still stands across Whitney Av. from it.
Elizabeth Road – Jennifer Rd. S to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1959 plat
Elizabeth Mikolinski lived on Wintergreen Av. nearby [Lisa Mikolinski on social media].
Elliot Drive – Woodin St. N to end; Pine Rock; on 1962 plat
The only street in the Elliot Hill subdivision, the origin of the name is unknown. Several people with the name lived in Hamden at the time.
Elm Street – Whitney Av. opposite Washington Av. W to Linden Av.; Centerville; on 1896 plat
There may have been elm trees nearby. New Haven is the “Elm City”.
Elmer Avenue – Woodin St. N to Helen St.; Pine Rock; on 1923 plat
Perhaps for the town of Elmer, New Jersey.It was part of the Edgewood subdivision of Bodwell Realty Co., with streets named for three other small northeastern towns: the Glenbrook neighborhood of Stamford; Laconia, New Hampshire; and Longmeadow, Massachusetts.
Eramo Terrace – Shepard Av. NE to West Woods Rd.; West Woods; on 1955 plat
Raymond Eramo owned property in the area.
Evergreen Avenue – Dixwell Av. N and NE to Whitney Av.; Centerville, Mount Carmel; on 1852 map