Wheeler Street – Dixwell Av. opposite Palmer Av. E to Hobson St.; Hamden Plains; on 1898 plat
Herbert P. Wheeler (1850-1904) was a brick mason in West Haven.
White Drive – Morgan Ln. N, W, S to Fallon Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1954 plat
George White, Jr. died in World War II.
Whiting Street – Dixwell Av. W to Dix St.; Highwood; on 1939 plat
On the 1868 map, the house of G.W. Whiting was nearby on Dixwell. His first name was George, see George St. Many Whitings are buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Whitney Avenue – Grove St. opposite Church St. in New Haven N across Hamden line, continuing N, northbound lanes only crossing North Haven line and recrossing Hamden line, N to Cheshire line continuing as South Main St.; Secondary State Route 707 from New Haven line to Dixwell Av.; State Route 10 from Dixwell Av. into Cheshire; New Haven, Whitneyville, Spring Glen, North Haven, Centerville, Mount Carmel; chartered 1800, in 1840 directory\
Whitney Court – Whitney Av. W to end; Mount Carmel; on 1949 plat
Whitney Village – Whitney Av. E to end; Private; Mount Carmel; on 2007 plat
Eli Whitney(1765-1825) built his gun factory on the street, near a Mill River dam just north of the New Haven line. The inventor is probably best known for the cotton gin, and for using interchangeable parts for making guns, although he was not completely successful in doing so. He did make significant advances in the discipline of industrial engineering, efficient production of complex devices in large quantities.
Whitney Av. was originally called the Cheshire Turnpike, and much of its route between the factory and Waite St. had to be relocated when the inventor's son Eli Whitney (1820-1895) increased the height of the dam. This created Lake Whitney, the first water supply for New Haven, submerging parts of the old turnpike (see Ford St., Lake Rd., also Hartford Tpk.
Wilbert Street – Circular Av. W to Dallas St.; Hamden Plains; on 1901 plat
It was developed on property of Wilbert Thomas.
Wilbur Cross Parkway - Merritt Parkway at Stratford line NE and N across Milford, Orange, Woodbridge, New Haven, Hamden, North Haven, Wallingford, Meriden to U.S. Route 5; State Route 15; built 1941 to 1949
Wilbur Lucius Cross was governor of Connecticut 1931-1939. The Hamden section of the parkway was the last to be buit due to the need to tunnel through West Rock and acquire much developed land on its route, disrupting many streets (see for example Arcadia Av., Marietta St., Mix Av., and the former Whitney Ln.) It was often called simply Cross Pkwy. in its early years and is still sometimes erroneously called the Merritt Parkway since it is an extension of that highway.
Wilkins Street – Blake Rd. N to Augur St.; Whitneyville; on 1873 plat
Origin unknown. It was the sole street in a subdivision made by Julius Twiss.
Willard Street – Washington Av. E to end; Centerville; on 1923 plat
Origin unknown. It was in the Belvedere subdivision made by Bodwell Realty Co.
William Street – Gorham Av. N to Pearl Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1930 plat
Origin unknown, perhaps the name of someone associated with the developers.
Williamson Road – Sebec St. N to Hesse Rd.; East Side; on 1956 plat
Joseph Williamson died in World War I.
Willow Street – Whitney Av. NE and NW to Whitney Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
It crosses Willow Brook, likely named for willow trees on its banks.
Willowcrest Drive – Whitney Av. NE and S to Knoll Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1950 plat
It goes up to the crest of a hill off Willow St.
Wilmot Road – Woodin St. NW, N, NW, SE to Pine Rock Av.; Pine Rock; on 1940 plat
It is near Wilmot Brook, which was named for Benjamin Wilmot, Sr., a farmer at the base of West Rock in New Haven in 1647 [Townshend], A separate Wilmot Road in New Haven also intersects Woodin Street about half a mile west from this one.
Wilson Lane – Hearn Ln. N to Benham St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1956 plat
Wilson B. Trapp died in World War II.
Wilton Road – Hartford Tpk. E to Rogers Rd.; East Side; on 1927 plat
It was developed on property of Amelia, Asa, and Wilton E. Dickerman.
Winchester Avenue – Sachem St. in New Haven NW and N across Hamden line to Mill Rock Rd.; New Haven, Whitneyville; on 1870 map
Winnett Street – Augur St. N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1919 plat
Origin of this street name in a subdivision made by James C. Kerrigan is unknown.
Wintergreen Avenue – Brook St. W, NW, W, S, W, S, SE across New Haven line, continuing SE to Fitch St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1870 map
It is named after Wintergreen Brook and Wintergreen Falls, which were named for the wintergreen shrub, which produces oil of wintergreen, used in flavoring many products [Townshend].
The New Haven portion is numbered up from Fitch St., a similar situation to the North Haven portion of State St. This can cause confusion for residents trying to find the Hamden transfer station, whose entrance is at 231 Wintergreen Av., New Haven, over a mile from the same address in Hamden.
Wiscassett Avenue – Cromwell St. N to Briarcliff Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1922 plat
Wiscasset(one 't') is a town in Maine, only place with the name.
Wood Street – Mather St. SW to Fern St.; Whitneyville; on 1920 plat
It was part of the Lakewood Manor development, with Lake and Manor streets.
Woodbine Street - Central Av. S to Beverly Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1896 plat
Perhapswoodbine, a name applied to several plants, most commonly European honeysuckle, grew between the street and Lake Whitney.
Woodin Street – Dixwell Av. NE, E, NE, E, westbound lane only crossing New Haven line and recrossing Hamden line, NE and E to Wintergreen Av.; Highwood, Pine Rock, Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
Benjamin Woodin served in the Civil War and represented Hamden in the state legislature [Hartley p. 388]. “Wooding” is an alternate spelling of the family name, see former Wooding St.
Woodland Avenue – Lakeview Av. W to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1912 plat
It was originally in wooded land.Originally named Woodlawn Av.
Woodlawn Street – Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1919 plat
Woodlawn Heights is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of the Bronx, with a stop named Woodlawn on the Metro-North Harlem line, with Wakefield the next stop (see Wakefield St.) It may have also been named to suggest there would be trees shading the lawns of houses on it. There are especially large trees at its eastern end.
Woodruff Street – Whitney Av. E to New Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1856 map
Arthur Woodruff was first selectman 1907-1908. The name of the street first appeared on a 1921 map of the Mt. Carmel School property.
Woodstock Road – Hartford Tpk. E to Ridge Rd.; East Side; on 1931 plat