Wadsworth Street – Morse St. N to Mill Rock Rd.; Whitneyville; on 1924 plat
Origin unknown of this street in a subdivision made by H. Setlow.
Wagner Road – Still Hill Rd. S to end; West Woods; on 1958 plat
Horst Wagner died in the Korean War.
Waite Street – Mather St. NE, E, S, E to Hartford Tpk.; Whitneyville, Spring Glen; on 1852 map
John Dudley Waite (d. 1892) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. House of J.D. Waite is near the western end of the street on the 1852 map. It may have been a mill since it was near the Mill River crossing. The original eastern end of the street was at Ridge Rd. It was extended to Hartford Tpk. in a 1954 subdivision called Waite Street Extension.
Wakefield Street – Whitney Av. W to Greenway St.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Wakefield is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of the Bronx, named for the Wakefield plantation in Virginia where George Washington was born. Woodlawn St. is nearby and Wakefield and Woodlawn are adjacent stops on the Metro-North Harlem line. See also intersecting Bedford Av. Harmon Wakefield operated a stagecoach line on what is now Whitney Av. in the late 1800s [Hartley p. 332].
Walden Street – Whitney Av. SE and E to Ford St.; Spring Glen; on 1924 plat
Perhaps, like Wright Ln., named for the first Town Engineer F. Walden Wright, or perhaps intended to associate its view of Lake Whitney with Walden Pond in Concord, Mass., made famous in a book by Henry David Thoreau.
Walter Lane – Sandquist Cir. W to Sandquist Cir.; Dunbar Hill; on 1956 plat
It was in the Benham Lane Heights subdivision which includes streets named for three servicemen who died in World War II: Francis Hearn, Russell Sandquist, and Wilson Trapp. Walter Stefanowski is listed among the World War II names in the Town Hall rotunda.
Warner Street – End S of West Easton St. N to Mott St.; Highwood; on 1905 plat
Many generations of Warners lived in Hamden: Amos, Benjamin, & Ebenezer Warner died in the Revolutionary War. Wallace R. Warner died in the Civil War [Abner Oakes].
Warren Street – North St. N to Woodin St.; Highwood; on 1900 plat
Rev. Israel Warren, pastor of Mt. Carmel Congregational Church, wrote a book in 1859 about the Dickerman sisters, Elizabeth, Abbie, and Fannie, who founded the Mt. Carmel Female Seminary [Hartley p. 256].
Washington Avenue – Dixwell Av. N and NW to Whitney Av.; Centerville; on 1852 map Washington Court – Washington Rd. NE to end; Centerville; on 1943 plat
Washington Road – Washington Av. E and SE to end; Centerville; on 1940 plat
Although Washington Av. appears on the oldest maps, it probably took its name for our first president George Washingtonwhen it appeared on a 1923 plat with streets named for presidents Harding (who died in office that year) and Lincoln. Washington Ct. appeared without a name on the 1940 plat of the Washington Manor subdivision and was named on the 1943 plat.
Wayne Street – State St. W to Edgecomb St.; East Side; on 1919 plat
Webb Street - Benton St. N to Merritt St.; East Side; renamed in 1911 directory
Perhaps named for James Webb, a judge (see Santa Fe Av.) or perhaps some association with its original name, Webster St.
Weaton Street – Park Av. N to Hawthorne Av.; Spring Glen; renamed in 1929 directory
Richard J. Weaton (1867-1948), a carpenter, lived on Park Av. Originally named Forrest St.
Welch Street - Pine Rock Av. opposite Rockwood Rd. W to Thomas St.; Pine Rock; on 1944 plat
House of J. Welch was nearby, at the corner of Pine Rock and Woodin, on the 1868 map.
Welton Street – Lyman St. in New Haven N across Hamden line past Merritt St. to end; New Haven, East Side; on 1870 map
John W. Bishop (perhaps the W stood for Welton) was a landowner [Townshend]. Welton is an Old English word for a village with a well or spring.
West Easton Street – Bowen St. W to Warner St.; Highwood; in 1913 directory
It is a western extension of Easton St., continuing its numbering.
West Helen Street – Pine Rock Av. W, N, E to Reyna Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1932 plat
It is a western extension of Helen St.
West Meadow Road – Stonewall Dr. S,W, SW, S, E to end, continuing as Midwood Ct.; West Woods; on 1970 plat
It was in a meadow in West Woods. The 1970 plat showed only a small part off Stonewall Dr. It was extended to Midwood Ct. in 1999.
West Shepard Avenue - Shepard Av. W, S, W, NW to Rayzoe Ter. Opposite Baldwin Dr.; Mix District; on 1852 map
It runs to the west from Shepard Av.
West Side Drive – Woodin St. NE and E to Brook St.; Pine Rock; on 1946 plat
It is on the western side of Wilmot Brook and the western side of town.
West Slope Lane – Dessa Dr. NE to Ranch Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1946 plat
It is on the western slope down from Ridge Rd.
West Todd Street – Shepard Av. W to Gaylord Mountain Rd.; West Woods; on 1852 map
It is a western extension of Todd St.
West Woods Road – Shepard Av. W, SW, W, N, W, S to Bethany line, continuing as Brooks Rd.; West Woods; on 1852 map
It is in the woods in the western part of town. The name West Woods came to be applied to the surrounding area, which was originally called Warnertown after its first settler, Benjamin Warner [Hartley p. 48].
Westcott Road – Ridge Rd. E and N to Hubbard Pl.; East Side; on 1952 plat
Godfrey Westcott died in World War II.
Westerfield Road – Pine Rock Av. W to Thomas St.; Pine Rock; on 1951 plat
It was the sole street in the Westerfield subdivision, named for being a field in the western part of town.
Westerly Drive – Ives St. S, SW, SE to paper Easterly Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1926 plat
The oddity of a street at the far eastern edge of town having this name is explained by the never-developed Easterly Dr.
Westland Road – Fennbrook Dr. N to Old Farm Rd. at North Haven line; Spring Glen; on 1928 plat
It is paired with Eastland Road in the Ridge Top Farms subdivision.
Westminster Street – Dixwell Av. NW and N to junction of Dorrance St. and Colony St.; Centerville; on 1921 plat
Probably named for the Westminster St. in downtown Providence, RI, which may have been named for Westminster, the section of London where Westminster Abbey is located. See Dorrance St.
Westview Street – Welch St. NW to Thomas St.; Pine Rock; on 1944 plat