Laconia Street – Glenbrook Av. W to Elmer Av.; Pine Rock; on 1923 plat
Laconiais a city in New Hampshire (see Elmer Av.) and a region in Greece.
Lake Court – Lake St. SE to end; Private; Whitneyville; on 1970 plat
This is essentially a driveway of Lake St. serving six condominium units.
Lake Road – Davis St. N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1852 map
It runs beside Lake Whitney. Whitney Av., or the Cheshire Turnpike as it was then known, originally followed this route. It had to be relocated due to increasing the height of the lake dam. The southern half of it as been closed to motor vehicles and is only accessible to pedestrians and bicycles.
Lake Street – Mather St. SW to Treadwell St.; Whitneyville; on 1920 plat
It was part of the Lakewood Manor development, with Wood and Manor streets.
Lakeview Avenue – Hillcrest Av. N to Benham St.; Hamden Plains; on 1910 plat
It has a view of Lake Whitney. Spelled Lake View Avenue on the plat.
Lamkin Street – Orpington St. W to Giles St.; Whitneyville; on 1924 plat
Origin of the name of this street in the Country Club Gardens subdivision of William Laterman is unknown.
Lancelot Way – Joyce Rd. II NW and N to end; West Woods; on 1988 plat
Lancelot was a Knight of the Round Table in the legend of King Arthur. See nearby Guenevere Ct.
Lane Street – Gilbert Av. opposite Brook St. N to Benham St.; Pine Rock, Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
Eben Lane (d. 1884) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Langer Street – Helen St. N to Bradley Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1929 plat
Mike and Antoinette Langer lived at 183 Helen St., at the corner of this street, in 1930. They had a daughter named Helen (1921-2011) who was a nurse in the Army. (Helen St. was named in 1911, so perhaps she was named for the street!) See Helen St. entry. Originally named Aurora St.
Lansdowne Avenue – Swarthmore St. S to Haverford St.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
Lansdowne is a borough in Pennsylvania. The street is off Swarthmore St. and Lansdowne and Swarthmore are stops on the same Philadelphia commuter rail line. See also Ardmore St.
Larkspur Lane – Clover Cir. N to Leonard Rd.; Dunbar Hill; on 1946 plat
Laurel View Drive – West Woods Rd. S to end; Private; West Woods; on 1970 plat
It provides access to Laurel View Country Club, the Hamden municipal golf course.
Lawrence Road – Whitney Av. E to Dunn Rd.; Mount Carmel; on 1956 plat
James G. Lawrence (1845-1925) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Leatherman Trail – Fans Rock Rd. SW to end; West Woods; on 1984 plat
It is near one of the caves where a vagabond known as the Old Leatherman (1839-1889) stayed while walking a circular route between the Hudson and Connecticut rivers repeatedly from 1857 until his death. The cave is actually closer to the south end of the paved portion of Joyce Rd.
Lee Street – Dixwell Av. E to end; Hamden Plains; on 1898 plat
Henry Lee (1841-1901) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. He was listed in the 1880 census as working in an auger factory, likely that of Willis Churchill (see Churchill Rd.) It is shown on some online maps as continuing north as a driveway behind the Home Depot plaza to join with an extension of Benham St.
Leeder Hill Drive – Putnam Av. N, E, NW to Treadwell St.; Whitneyville; on 1967 plat
H.A. Leed Co., manufacturer of metal goods, and Pleasant Hill Manufacturing Co., bedding maker, were companies in the area when the road was built. There is no hill; the area is almost perfectly flat.
Lent Road – Smith Dr. N and W to Hesse Rd.; East Side; on 1956 plat
Edward Lent died in the Korean War.
Leo Road – Foote St. N to Sebec St.; East Side; on 1956 plat
Bamby Leo died in World War I.
Leonard Road – Lane St. W, S, SW to Gilbert Av.; Dunbar Hill; on 1946 plat\
Abial Leonard (1806-1851) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Lexington Street – Dixwell Av. W and SW to Circular Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1922 plat
Lexington and Concord were sites of Revolutionary War battles. Concord St. is two blocks north. It was labeled Lexington Av. on the plat. House of A.E. Lexington was about a mile away, near Dixwell & Benham, on the 1868 map.
Lilac Avenue – Augur St. N to Putnam Av.; Whitneyville; on 1909 plat
Lillibridge Court – Ridge Rd. E to end; East Side; on 1954 plat
Origin uncertain. Charles Lillibridge lived on State St. in North Haven in 1940.
Lincoln Street – Whitney Av. E to Maher Av.; Centerville; on 1917 plat
Named for President Abraham Lincoln. The portion west of Washington Av. was on the 1917 plat, with the eastern portion added in 1923. See nearby Harding St.
Linden Avenue – End near Farrell St. N past Forest St. to end; Centerville, Mount Carmel; on 1896 plat
Possibly for linden trees, in keeping with the tradition of naming streets for trees.
Lloyd Street – Freind St. (paper) E as a paper street, then N as a driveway to Peck Ln., continuing N and E as a paper street to Hillfield Rd.; West Woods; on 1973 plat
Amos Lloyd Peck (1923-2007) was a member of the Peck family who lived in the area, which has streets named for other family members.
Locust Street – Vernon St. W to Vine St.; Centerville; on 1917 plat
Possibly for locust trees, in keeping with the tradition of naming streets for trees.The plat shows it continuing W to Evergreen Av.
Loller Road – Pine Rock Av. W and S to Woodin St.; Pine Rock; on 1945 plat
Charles Loller was the first fire chief in 1925. House of F.T. Loller is shown at its eastern end on a 1958 plat. S.A.A., D.K., and L.E. Loller have undated graves in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
London Drive – Ridge Rd. E, SE, E to State St.; East Side; on 1946 plat
Perhaps named for London, capital of the United Kingdom [Chronicle 1999], or for C.E. Longdon. His house, “Hillcrest”, still standing nearby on the west corner of Ridge Road and Hartford Turnpike, was acquired by the New Haven Country Club in 1915. This is likely the same man as Charles E. Longden (1841-1929), buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Longmeadow Avenue – Woodin St. N to Laconia St.; Hamden Plains; on 1935 plat
Perhaps named for the town of Longmeadow, Massachusetts, on the Connecticut border north of Enfield (see Elmer Av.), or simply because there was a longmeadow there before the street was built.
Lovell Street – Paper street from State St. W to Edgecomb St., continuing W as a paved street to Leo Rd.; East Side; on 1919 plat
Lovig Lane – Whitney Av. E to Willow St.; Mount Carmel; in 1956 directory
Egner Lovig died in World War II,
Lucien Drive – New Rd. W and N to end; Mount Carmel; on 1961 plat
Lucien DiMeio, mayor from 1973 to 1979, was its developer [Fitzgerald].
Lucy Street – Brook St. N and W to Reyna Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1920 plat
Possibly named for someone associated with the Highland Terrace subdivision, which contained other streets with given names: John St., Paul St., which was renamed Village Cir., and the never-built Rose St. and Michael St.
Luzerne Avenue – Kenwood Av. NW and N to Sleeping Giant Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1924 plat
Luzerne is a borough in Luzerne County in northeastern Pennsylvania, which was settled by people from Connecticut in 1762, as part of the state's Western Reserve granted by King Charles II. See Monterey Av.
Lynmoor Place – Franklin Rd. W and N to Windsor Rd.; East Side; on 1950 plat
Perhaps someone associated with the developer, Veggo F. Larsen Co, was named Lynn. The nearby Quinnipiac River marsh could be considered moorland.
Lynmot Road – Oberlin Rd. N to Wilmot Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1940 plat
It was in the Wilmot subdivision made by Thomas A. Laydon, off Wilmot Rd. and near Wilmot Brook. Perhaps someone associated was named Lynn.