Hidden Brook Road – Joyce Rd. E to end; West Woods; on 1991 plat
It crosses a small brook in one of the more hidden parts of town.
Hideaway Lane – Joyce Rd. SW to end; West Woods; on 1984 plat
Perhaps named to suggest a house on this remote street would be a hideaway.
High Lane – Ridgewood Av. in North Haven SE and E straddling town line to Ridge Rd.; North Haven, Spring Glen; on 1922 plat
It is at a high elevation off Ridge Rd.
High Meadow Road – Ridge Rd. E and SE to Hartford Tpk.; Spring Glen; on 1941 plat
In the High Meadows subdivision, descriptive of its location.
High Ridge Road – Dunbar Hill Rd. S to end, continuing S as a paper street to Benham St. opposite Gorham Dr.; Dunbar Hill; in 1951 directory
It is along a high ridge. The paper street part is on a slope too steep for an actual street.
High Top Circle – Pine Rock Av. W, SW, W to High Top Cir. West; Pine Rock; on 1968 plat
High Top Circle East – High Top Cir. S to High Top Cir. West; Pine Rock; on 1977 plat
High Top Circle West – High Top Cir. S and E to High Top Cir. East; Pine Rock; on 1977 plat
It is near the high top of Pine Rock. Numbering of High Top Cir. West continues the High Top Cir. numbering.High Top Cir. East was originally called Middlevale Dr. and Midhill Dr. was originally called High Top Cir. East, and extended SW to connect to Middlevale Dr.
Highland Avenue – End NW and N to Forest St., continuing N as a paper street to Monroe St.; Centerville; on 1896 plat
It is on the highest land of a small ridge along Forest St. Numbering starts at the cul-de-sac at its south end with 112, although it was never shown as extending further south.
Highland View Avenue – Waite St. N to Terrace Av.; Spring Glen; on 1905 plat
It has a view of distant high land, West Rock Ridge.
Highwood Avenue – Cherry Hill Rd. E to Eleanor St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1924 plat
The Highwood neighborhood was named by its first postmaster who saw tall trees near the Farmington Canal railroad. It is unusual that this street is not in the neighborhood for which it is named, unlike all the other such streets (Dunbar Hill Rd., Mt. Carmel Av., Pine Rock Av., etc.) The street originally extended east to what is now Arents Rd. (then Mix Av.) but was truncated by Wilbur Cross Pkwy.
Hill Street – Paradise Av. opposite Four Rod Rd. W and N past West Shepard Av. to end, continuing as a paper street NE and N to end; Mix District; on 1852 map
Five people with the surname Hill are buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery, including Henry E. Hill (1819-1885) who served in the Civil War. The street ascends a long incline probably too gradual to be considered a hill.
Hill Top Road – Four Rod Rd. N to end; Mix District; on 1944 plat
It is ascends to the top of a small hill.
Hillcrest Avenue – Dixwell Av. W to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1912 plat
It passes over the crest of a small hill.
Hillfield Road – Shepard Av. W and N to West Todd St.; West Woods; on 1852 map
The Peck family built Phelps School in a field on its southern hill [Shepard].
Hillview Avenue – Shepard Av. SW and NW to Howard Dr.; Mix District; on 1951 plat
It has a view of Cherry Hill.
Hobson Avenue – Wheeler St. N past Miles St. to end; Hamden Plains; on 1898 plat
William F. Hobson (or Hopson) (1849-1935) was an engraver who lived at 730 Whitney Av., New Haven. The street originally extended to Marietta St. before being truncated by Wilbur Cross Pkwy.
Hodder Drive – Wintergreen Av. NW and N past Newcastle Dr. to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1961 plat\
Milton Hodder (1905-1943) was the first Hamden police officer killed in the line of duty. The street was called Hodder Rd. on some early maps.
Hogan Road – Continuation of Brewster Ln. in North Haven N and NW to Mt. Carmel Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
Catherine & Michael Hogan had a farm on the hill from 1899 until 1925. Hugh F. Hogan died in World War II, but since Hogan Rd. was listed in the 1941 city directory, it could not have been originally named for him.
Home Place – Whitney Av. W to Evergreen Av.; Mount Carmel; on 1868 map
The large house built in 1850 at its corner with Murlyn Rd. was originally the Mount Carmel Female Seminary, a school for girls operated by Elizabeth (1829-1856) and Abbie Dickerman (1831-1852). In 1889 it became the Mount Carmel Children's Home for orphans. The orphanage was absorbed in 1925 by the Children's Center in Whitneyville.
Homelands Terrace – Goodrich St. N to Morse St.; Whitneyville; on 1929 plat
It was in the Homelands subdivision, perhaps named to suggest an attractive area for homes just outside New Haven city limits.
Homestead Avenue – Dixwell Av. W to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1912 plat
The only area on the 1912 plat not divided into lots, at the street's southwest corner with Dixwell, showed a homestead which may have been the house of B. Broomhead on the 1868 map.
Hope Avenue – Benham St. N to Palmer Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1917 plat
Perhaps the name of someone associated with developers of the Dixwell Manor subdivision, City and Suburban Land Co.
Hotchkiss Lane – Deerfield Rd. E to end; West Woods; on 1965 plat
Hotchkiss School is a preparatory school in the Lakeville section of Salisbury, Connecticut. See Andover Rd. It was named on the 1965 plat, but only for a short section at the Deerfield Dr. intersection. The first lots on it were laid out in 1967.
Howard Drive – Shepard Av. SW and W to Paradise Av.; Mix District; on 1951 plat
Origin unknown. The facility of Howard Paving Co., named for founder Howard Raccio, is less than a mile away, but the company was not founded until 1957. See Raccio Park Rd. The 1951 plat showed only the first block of the street from Shepard Av. A 1958 plat showed a bit at the Paradise Av. end, and for many years the street remained in two parts. They were connected to each other and Skiff St. Extension on a 1967 plat.
Howell Avenue – Harmon St. N to Ingram St.; Spring Glen; on 1928 plat
John Howell (1861-1944) is buried in Hamden Plains Cemetery.
Hubbard Place – State St. W to Ridge Rd.; East Side; on 1908 plat
John Hubbard was the first first selectman of Hamden (1786-1787).It was laid out on land of John H. Davis, first selectman 1896-1898. It had 176 lots each just 20 feet wide by 100 feet deep. The house at #59 is just 20 feet wide, showing how the houses would have had to been attached side-by-side to fit on such lots. All of the houses today are on combinations of at least two lots. Shown as Hubbard Rd. on some maps.
Hume Drive – End S of Earl Av. NW to Bear Path Rd. opposite Country Club Dr.; Mix District; on 1978 plat
Herbert Hume was first selectman (1955-1956). The lowest numbered house at its cul-de-sac is 201. The numbering may have been part of a plan made by the town in 1963 to have a long north-south through street. It would have extended south to connect to the present Adla Dr. and north all the way to the Cheshire line.
Humiston Avenue - Hawthorne Av. N past Elihu St. to end; Spring Glen; on 1910 plat
It intersects streets named for two brothers, Harmon and Elihu Humiston. Their father Justus Humiston built the house that still stands nearby on Whitney.
Hunters Way – Autumn Ridge Rd. opposite Partridge Xing. N, NW, W to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1991 plat
It is in the former Paradise Game Preserve, in which A.C. Gilberthunted deer.
Hunting Ridge Road – Gaylord Mountain Rd. W and N to end; West Woods; on 1988 plat
It ascends the ridge of Gaylord Mountain. Hunting is allowed in nearby Naugatuck State Forest.
Huntington Circle – Whitney Av. W to end; Mount Carmel; on 1955 plat
George H. Huntington died in World War II.
Hyde Street – State St. W to Park Rd.; East Side; in 1955 directory
Robert Hyde died in World War II. There are no houses on this very short street.