Biehl Road – Read Rd. opposite Ann's Farm Rd. N and W to Robertson Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1984 plat
Oscar Biehl, Jr. died in the Vietnam War.
Birchwood Drive – Still Hill Rd. NW and W to end; West Woods; on 1979 plat
Perhaps birch trees were in the area of this Heritage Woods subdivision.
Bismarck Court – Oregon Av. N to end; Private; Hamden Plains; on 1900 plat
Otto von Bismarck was the first Chancellor of unified Germany (1871-1890). The capital of North Dakota was named for him in 1873. The German battleship bearing his name was launched in 1939, after the street was named. It was shown as Bismarck Street, now a paper street, on the plat map west of the present industrial building which has Bismarck Court, a private street, east of it.
Bittersweet Lane – Whitney Av. W to end; Mount Carmel; on 1966 plat
Perhaps for bittersweet vines that were in the area.
Blacy Street – Meadow St. W to end; Hamden Plains, Pine Rock; on 1921 plat
Blacy is a municipality in France, in the Marne department, near the sites of the Battles of the Marne. Marne St. is half a mile away. Although mapped in 1921, it was constructed much later. It did not appear in the city directory until 1961.
Blake Circle – Blake Rd. N, W, S, SE, NE to Blake Rd.; Whitneyville; on 1987 plat
Named for being a circular extension of Blake Rd., or possibly for Bradford B. Blake, who died in World War II. It continues the Blake Rd. numbering, with 281 Blake Cir. next to 275 Blake Rd.
Blake Road – Whitney Av. W to end; Whitneyville; on 1925 plat
Eli Whitney Blake was the nephew of Eli Whitney [Fitzgerald]. He invented a stone crusher that facilitated the paving of streets. William Blake was Eli Whitney's grandnephew [Becker]. It was first shown on an 1899 map as Highland Av., later as Blake St. and Blake Av.
Bliss Avenue – Waite St. N to Terrace Av.; Spring Glen; on 1905 plat
Mary J. Bliss, (1827-1871) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. Perhaps named to suggest the area was blissful.
Blue Hills Avenue - Grandview Av. W and N to Grandview Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1946 plat
The Blue Hills Development Co. developed the area. The Sleeping Giant, also known as the Blue Hills, can be seen from it.
Blue Trail - Chestnut Ln. N, NE, SE, E to Six Rod Hwy.; Mount Carmel; on 1957 plat
The Quinnipiac Trail is nearby. It was the first of a system of hiking trails in Connecticut which are all marked by blue blazes. It is shown on the tax assessor map as Blue Trail Lane.
Bolton Street – End E of Villa Rd. W and SW to end; Mount Carmel; on 1923 plat.
Possibly for Bolton, England; Bolton, Connecticut; or other municipalities with that name. On the 1923 plat map of the Mountain View Terrace subdivision made by S.A. Lewis and Mrs. F.L Adams, it began on Whitney Av. It was truncated to build the southbound entrance ramp to the Mount Carmel Connector in 1976.
Booth Terrace - Fans Rock Rd. S to end at paper portion of Paradise Av.; West Woods; on 1964 plat
Elisha Booth died in the Revolutionary War [Carusone]. Leon Booth was first selectman 1951-1954. Since it was named in 1964 it was more likely for the selectman.
Bowen Street – Cherry Ann St. opposite Sherman Pkwy. N to Arch St.; Highwood; on 1868 map
William H. Bowen (1830-1909) served in the Civil War and is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery. Sherman Av., also known as Sherman Pkwy., in New Haven did not extend to the Hamden line when this street first appeared.
Bradford Road – Belden Rd. N to Belden Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1950 plat
Possibly for William Bradford who sailed to Plymouth, Massachusetts on the Mayflower and was an early governor of Plymouth Colony.
Bradley Avenue – Circular Av. W to William St; Hamden Plains; on 1872 plat
Aaron Bradley died in the Revolutionary War.
Braeside Drive – Shepard Av. NE, E, S to end; Mix District; on 1955 plat
It is on a brae, a Scottish term for a sloping bank, alongside Shepard Brook. The 1955 plat showed only the first portion going northeast from Shepard. It was extended in several segments, completed in 1972.
Breckenridge Court – Autumn Ridge Rd. S and SE to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1992 plat
Perhaps named to suggest a similarity of the area to the Breckenridge ski resort in Colorado.
Breezy Court – River Rd. N and NW to end; Mount Carmel; on 1992 plat
In the Breezy Acres subdivision, probably named to suggest pleasant breezes in the area.
Brenton Terrace – Brentwood Dr. E to Hampton Rd.; Centerville; on 1952 plat
It was in the Brentwood subdivision. Origin of the name is uncertain.
Brentwood Drive – Jamestown Rd. opposite Vernon St. S to Austen Rd.; Centerville; on 1953 plat.
It was in the Brentwood subdivision. Origin of the name is uncertain. House numbering on the street is a continuation of the Vernon St. numbering.
Briar Lane – Edgehill Rd. W to Reservoir St.; Whitneyville; first house 1910
Perhaps named for briars in the area.
Briarcliff Road – Whitney Av. SW, NW, W to Evergreen Av.; Centerville; on 1922 plat
Briarcliff Manor is a village in New York, not far from the Hudson River. It was in the Westerleigh subdivision along with Melrose Dr. and Pelham Av., also named for places near the Hudson.
Brinsmade Road – Paper section of Building Brook Rd. E and NE to Gorham Dr.; Dunbar Hill; on 1947 plat
Earl Brinsmade, Lena J. Gorham, and Myrtle Gorham Brinsmade owned land in the area. There used to be a plaque describing their efforts to preserve the land for the Laurel Woods subdivision in the island at the corner of Benham St. and Gorham Dr. [Jim Maresca].
Broadfield Road – Spring Garden St. N and NE to Underhill Rd.; Spring Glen; on 1928 plat
James Webb's farm in the area had broad fields. See Santa Fe Av. It is irregularly numbered; numbers 5 and 9 are on the block between Spring Garden and Santa Fe Av., with 6 being the number of the first house on the next block.
Broadway – Ives St. S, SE, S to North Haven line, continuing as Davis Rd; State Route 22; Mount Carmel; on 1852 map
As in many cities, this street was named simply for being a broad way. It is wide enough to be a state highway, although it has just one lane in each direction.
Broken Arrow Road – Gaylord Mountain Rd. N and E to end, continuing E and SE as a paper street to end of Tom Swamp Rd. then N to Naugatuck State Forest; West Woods; on 1852 map
Perhaps a broken arrow was found in the area.
Bromley Court – Millpond Rd. W to end; Mix District; on 1975 plat
Bromley Mountain in Vermont is a popular skiing area. Its developer Veggo Larsen enjoyed skiing [Fitzgerald].
Brook Hill Road – Denslow Hill Rd. SW and W to end; on 1974 plat
It is near a small brook in hilly terrain.
Brook Street – Pine Rock Av. opposite Gorham Av. NW, N. NE to Gilbert Av. opposite Lane St.; Pine Rock; on 1921 plat
Wilmot Brook is nearby.
Brookhaven Road - Woodstock Rd. N and E to Ridge Rd; East Side; on 1931 plat
Brookhaven is a town on the south shore of Long Island, New York, due south of Hamden.
Brookside Drive – Santa Fe Av. N to Glen Pkwy.; Spring Glen; on 1920 plat
An unnamed brook runs nearby and, for one block, down its median.
Brooksvale Avenue – Whitney Av. W, N, NW to Mount Sanford Rd. at Cheshire line; Mount Carmel, West Woods; on 1852 map
Enos Brooks was the owner of a farm in a vale or valley nearby. It later became the town (poor) farm and is now Brooksvale Park.
Brown Street – Whitney Av. W, SW, W to Klarman Dr.; Mount Carmel; on 1956 plat
Frederick W. Brown died in World War II.
Bruschayt Drive – Old Lane Rd. in Cheshire S and SW to end; Cheshire, Mount Carmel; on 1957 plat
Herbert W. Bruschayt died in World War II.
Bryden Terrace – Prospect St. W to Winchester Av. opposite Newbury St.; Whitneyville; on 1926 plat
Origin unknown. Bryden is a Scottish surname.
Building Brook Road – Wintergreen Av. N to end, continuing as paper street to Benham St.; Dunbar Hill; on 1868 map
Nearby Belden Brook was labeled Building Brook on a 1922 map.
Burke Street – Arch St. N to North St.; Highwood; on 1872 plat
Michael Burke was an early trustee of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church. [Hartley p. 27 4]. Patrick Burke was MIA in the Civil War [Abner Oakes].
Busher Lane – West Todd St. N and NW to end near Oakwood Ln.; West Woods; on 1988
It was the only street in the Busher Estates subdivision. Origin of the name is unknown.
Butler Street – Ivy St. in New Haven N to Marlboro St.; New Haven, Highwood; on 1868 map
Civil engineer Sylvanus Butler laid out nearby lots [Townshend]. It was first listed in the 1865 New Haven city directory. The 1868 map showed it extending just over the city line to Goodrich St. A 1910 plat map extended it to Marlboro St.
Buttonwood Path – Eaton Woods Rd. NE to end; Private ; West Woods; on 1987 plat
(Return to Main Page or go to Ca-Cl)