Ba - Be
Bagley Avenue – Oregon Av. N to Treadwell St.; Hamden Plains; on 1900 plat
Worth Bagley (1874-1898), from Raleigh, North Carolina, was the only U.S. naval officer killed in the Spanish-American War. The street is near Manila and Oregon avenues, also connected to that war.
Baker Road – Pleasant Dr. W and NW to Belden Rd; Pine Rock; on 1950 plat
In the Twin Brook Acres subdivision of Giordano Construction Co., it may have been named for a relative of one of the developers.
Baldwin Road – Battis Rd. E to Blue Hills Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1950 plat
William and Gertrude Baldwin are buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Bank Street – Church St. NW to Taft St.; Hamden Plains; on 1928 plat
Hamden Bank and Trust occupied a prominent building at the corner of Dixwell and Circular, later for many years an office of Union Trust of New Haven. The area around it is known as the Bank Section of Hamden Plains, and could possibly extend to this one-block street. No bank is known to have ever existed on the street itself.
Barbara Lane – Todd St. SW to end; West Woods; on 1959 plat
It was in the Barbara Acres development of Herman D. Smith in 1959, possibly named for one of his family members.
Barraclough Avenue – Augur St. N and W to Newhall St.; Whitneyville; on 1900 plat
John I. Barraclough (1831-1884) is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Barrett Street – Waite St. N to Terrace Av.; Spring Glen; on 1905 plat
Francis J. Barrett died in World War I. The street was originally named Linden Avenue, renamed to avoid confusion with a street of the same name in Centerville.
Batti Road – State St. W to Franklin Rd.; East Side; on 1946 plat
Arthur M. Batti died in World War II. This very short street was not named on the plat. It has just one house on each side of it, which are numbered on Franklin Rd.
Battis Road – Circular Av. NE, N, E, N to Roosevelt St.; Hamden Plains; first renamed on 1954 plat
Frederick H. Battis, Jr. died in World War II. This is the portion of Mix Av. that was cut off from its longer northern portion due to the construction of Wilbur Cross Pkwy. in 1949. For a time the Mix Av. name was retained for the severed portion, but it was then renamed in keeping with the practice of naming streets for fallen servicemen, and to prevent confusion.
Beacon Street – Dixwell Av. W and SW to Circular Av. opp Pearl Av.; Hamden Plains; on 1909 plat
Beacon Hill is a neighborhood in Boston. In colonial times, a beacon was lit on it in case of invasion. The street is between streets named for Lexington and Concord, sites of Revolutionary battles.
Bear Path Road – Shepard Av. W to end at paper section of Paradise Av.; Mix District; on 1952 plat
Bears may have been in the area. They are still occasionally seen in many areas of town. The street was originally named simply Bear Path.
Beaver Street – Second St. NE and N to Woodin St.; Highwood; on 1927 plat
Beaver Ponds and the Beaver Hills neighborhood of New Haven are about a mile to the south. The ponds may have originally been the work of industrious beavers. It was shown on an 1872 plat as extending from Arch St. to North St. The 1927 plat showed it from Arch St. to Woodin St. (then called Wooding). It was reduced to its current extent on a 1930 map.
Bedford Avenue – Ardmore St. N to Norris St.; Spring Glen; on 1917 plat
Bedford is a town in New York that was originally part of Connecticut, being just north of Greenwich. The street intersects Wakefield St. and Bedford Hills and Wakefield are both stops on the Harlem Line of Metro-North commuter railroad.
Beechwood Avenue – Battis Rd. N to Arents Rd.; Hamden Plains; on 1924 plat
Many cities have streets named for types of trees. Perhaps beech trees grew nearby.
Beechwood Lane – Prospect St. in New Haven E and N to end; New Haven, Whitneyville; on 1950 plat
Not near Beechwood Av., but like it, probably named for beech trees. Only its cul-de-sac is in Hamden.
Belair Road – West Side Dr. NW to Twin Brook Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1950 plat
Perhaps named for the Belair Mansion in Maryland. Part of its estate became the Belair Development of homes made by William Levitt, well known for building Levittowns. Perhaps also associated with nearby Belden Road and Belden Brook.
Belden Road – Woodin St. opposite Augustine St. in New Haven NW, NE, S, SW, S, SE to Twin Brook Rd.; Pine Rock; on 1950 plat
It is next to Belden Brook, likely named for William Belden (1821-1905), who is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery.
Belmont Street – Ralston Av. N and NE to Mather St.; Whitneyville; on 1903 plat
Belmont is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of the Bronx. It is parallel to Glendale St., with the name of a Queens neighborhood.
Bender Road – Nolan Rd. N and E to Shepard Av.; Mix District; on 1973 plat
It was part of the Bender Estates development of Bender Plumbing Supplies.
Benham Hill Place – Benham St. SW and E to end; Dunbar Hill; on 1992 plat
Benham Street – Dixwell Av. W, SW, W, NW, W to Main St.; Hamden Plains, Dunbar Hill; on 1852 map
Joseph Benham died in the Revolutionary War.
Benton Street – State St. E to Welton St.; East Side; on 1895 map
William I. Benton (1837-1924) served in the Civil War, and is buried in Whitneyville Cemetery along with several others with the surname. It was named Pond St. on the 1895 map.
Berkeley Court – Hillfield Rd. S and SE to end; West Woods; on 1960 plat
Possibly for the city of Berkeley, California. It was the Hillfield Manor development made by Albert Swanson.
Beverly Road – Coram St. W to Woodbine St.; Spring Glen; on 1927 plat
Possibly named for a relative of its developer, Tilly G. Rowe.